Mark N
Mark N, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Saab Master Technician, GM Technician, 30 years experience.

hi i have a 2000 saab 9-5 turbo 5spd check engine light came

Customer Question

hi i have a 2000 saab 9-5 turbo 5spd check engine light came on and flashes under boost or over 75mph one of the codes is for the cam shaft postion sensor the other code is p0340 which the scanner says is a undefinned code? any ideas
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark N replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome!

P0340 is a camshaft position code. The ignition module uses the spark plugs to determine the cam position, so the first thing I would do is change the plugs. Be sure to use the NGK plugs that are specified for the car. These will give you the best performance in the long run. Other brand plugs just don't seem to work as well.

If that doesn't take care of it, you'll probably have to change the module itself.

Hope this helps! Write back if any of this isn't clear.

Thanks for checking in with us!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok thank you now that you mention it i changed the oil and checked #2 cylinder plug justb to check and then i drove it and thats when the light came on, the other code was a p1340 that was the one that said undefinned sorry.
Expert:  Mark N replied 7 years ago.

Hi again-

Not sure why taking a plug out and re-installing it would set this code, but if they haven't been changed for awile, I think I would start by doing that.

As far as the P1340 code, I don't have a listing for that. Was this also in the Engine control module, or maybe another module?

My recommendation at this point would be change the plugs, clear the codes, and drive it. See what, if anything, comes back.

Let me know what happens, I'll be here!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok thank you..
Expert:  Mark N replied 7 years ago.

A little more info here-

The P0340 and P1340 codes are actually the same code as far as diagnostics. The difference being the first number after the "P". 0 indicates a generic code, which is what you would get if you scanned with a generic scan tool. 1 indicates a manufacturer specific code. It's really irrelevent in this case. Just a standard in the structure of the codes.

Just wanted to clear the issue up a bit!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you gonna check it out tommorrow thank u for lettin me know about the 1340 code that was bothering me i will let u know tommorrow once i get it in the garage and work on it if i have any more questions