Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

Alero: start unless..I hook it to my other car battery

alero 2000. recntly will not start unless I hook it to my other car battery. It start very quickly then. But I leave it for more than 2 hours off, it will not start again . When ignition is turned on all lights on dash board are on indicating that the batery was not drained out becasue I left light on or so. is it my batery or the starter or what else
Category: Car
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer
Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
It seems that you battery is faulty and does not hold any charge, but it also could be a charging system problem or a parasitic current drain issue.
You will need a digital multimeter in order to check for system voltage.
Start you car and check for voltage at the battery terminals. If you get something in range of 12.8 -14.7 Volts with the engine running, you generator is OK and you have either the bad battery or a current drain issue.
You should also know that the starter requires much more power from the battery in order to turn over the engine, than some warning lamps on the instrument cluster.This means that the cluster lamps operation does not indicate that the battery is good or that there is no drain.