Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!

1994 Mazda 626: alternater..bolts hits the side wall of the car..hints

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Mazda 626 and I am trying to take the alternater out but one of the bolts hits the side wall of the car to where I can get it all the way off. If anyone can give me any helpful hints to how I can get the bolt out that would be awesome.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 7 years ago.

If I recall correctly, the last one of these that I did required the A/C compressor to be moved out of the way. Then I had to leave the one bolt in the alternator and work the alternator out. Once out, install the bolt in the replacement alternator and work it back in.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The bolt that won't come out is the one that is labeled 37-51 on the diagram. When I move it out as far as I can the alternater just pivots on that bolt and I can't work it out.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 7 years ago.
Hmm, I don't recall that bolt being a problem. Maybe you have some worn motor mounts causing the engine to sit slightly out of alignment. You could try jacking the engine up a little. If it still doesn't help then loosen the engine mount nuts and let the engine drop down.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, I'll try that.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 7 years ago.
Ok, let me know how you make out!