NicksSticks
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Drivetrain and Chassis Master, ASE Master Technician
21564301

1999 Ford Taurus: sedan..dead battery because the car starts..jump

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Ford Taurus sedan. Over the past six months my car has been mysteriously breaking down from what seems to be a dead battery because the car starts again when you jump it. BUT... I have had the battery tested and I have had the alternator tested and I was told by two places that it was neither one of them. Now when this happens my car will shake and the lights will dim and if I am using my blinkers they will blink a lot faster than they normally do. Plus when I do get the car started back up my windshield wipers will automatically go off for no reason. My car can go months without breaking down and then break down several times in one day. People have told me that it may be a wiring problem but with all of these clues is it possible to figure out where the wiring problem is coming from? Please help me!
Category: Car
Expert:  NicksSticks replied 7 years ago.
Hi! your car has a personal life now pretty cool huh?!
No I dont think so....
Name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you find this short. The info you gave above was great, and yes it is a wiring issue. Lets diagnos this together.
First, when you know the car will sit, such as overnight, I would like you to locate the fuse panel inside your vehicle, it is located under your dash on the left side, most likely covered by a black trim piece, want you to pull fuse #17, if it is hard to figure out which one #17 is, at the top you will see some black boxes, (relays) then fuses under them, start with the top one on the left, counting it one, then go directly down, until you hit four. Pull this fuse, leave the vehicle overnight, and see if it starts.
It is an extremly hard procedure to diagnos your concern, and I will make it as user friendly as possible. ALWAYS let me know if you do not understand please, so I can make it simplier.
Main Purpose: Isolate your wiring problem. Let me know if the car starts or not after this.
Thank You So Much
Nick.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok so there is no fuse 17
Hi, the number on the fuse is not the fuse number, what I need you too do is
"at the top you will see some black boxes, (relays) then fuses under them, start with the top one on the left, counting it one, then go directly down, until you hit four. Pull this fuse, leave the vehicle overnight, and see if it starts."
This is the fuse panel under your dash, not the hood too.
Thank you for your patience.