BigBob, Shop Manager/Technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience

Mitsubishi Expert,,1990 Mighty Max pk-up No Start 2.4 ltr,,change

Mitsubishi Expert,,1990 Mighty Max pk-up No Start 2.4 ltr,,change coil still same problem,,no spark from coil tower,, their are two connections at coil one is a white/black and the other is blue,, with wires disconnected from coil have 12 volt on white/black wondering where blue goes to or if possible shorted out.. about one out of 10 trys within 30 min or so it will start and drive fine,,then won't start again due to no spark..

Unplug the distributor 4 wire connector. Turn the key to the "on" position. Test the voltage on all wires on the wire harness side. The Black/White wire should have battery voltage. The Brown/Red wire should have 5 volts. The Black/Green wire should have 5 volts. The Black wire should have 0 volts. Let me know your results.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok the wires come directly out of the distributor and go to a connector plug on the firewall,,as they come out of dist the colors are red-which changes to black/white has 12 volts Yellow changes to brown/green no reading,,White changes to red/yellow no reading and Black stays black no reading
The wire colors can be different but 2 of them should have a 5 volt reference and the black should be 0, If the voltage is low on the 5 volt circuits, it is likely a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) failure. The PCM sends out the 5 volts to the distributor. It is located to the right of the glove box. Verify the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) power and ground supplies are present. If they are, then replace the PCM. The PCM power feeds will be on pins 2, 3 and 7. Pins 2 and 7 are Red wires. Pin 3 is Black/Yellow. Grounds will be on pins 1 and 6 and both will be Black.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi checked the feeds in and grounds as suggested they were all present..Re-checked the two wires going to dist suppose to have 5 volts they only had .11 and .12 volts..So I ordered a new PCM it will take about 5 days to get here,,I'll keep in touch..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Good news I had the PCM unit rebuilt,,then re-installed it and It fired right up..

The maintenance required light is on,,it had been on when the PCM was giving trouble

will that light eventually go off.. No check engine light even came on..

Thats great news. At mileage of 50,000, 80,000 and 100,000 the Maintenance Required lamp will be illuminated.Reset switch is located on the back of instrument panel either to the left of or below speedometer cable junction, Figs. 1 through 3. Slide switch to the opposite position to reset sensor lamp.

let me know if I can help further.

Good luck,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks I check tommorow,,Just for your information I got the PCM rebuilt at the following web site 7 day total turn around with priority mail.
thanks for the info