Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I have A 1999 Isuzu Rodeo. Can you tell me how to line up my

I have A 1999 Isuzu Rodeo. Can you tell me how to line up my timing mark up. I replace timing belt it wat start .
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

this should help you

thanks

3.2L & 3.5L Engines

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the air cleaner assembly and intake air duct.
  4. Remove the upper fan shroud from the radiator.
  5. Remove the 4 nuts retaining the cooling fan assembly. Remove the cooling fan from the fan pulley.
  6. Loosen and remove the drive belts.
  7. Remove the upper timing belt covers.
  8. Remove the fan pulley assembly.
  9. Rotate the crankshaft to align the camshaft timing marks with the pointer dots on the back covers. Verify that the pointer on the crankshaft aligns with the mark on the lower timing cover.
    NOTE When the timing marks are aligned, the No. 2 piston is at Top Dead Center (TDC) compression.

WARNING Align the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets with their alignment marks before removing the timing belt. Failure to align the belt and sprocket marks may result in valve damage.
  10. Use tool No. J-8614-01, or a suitable pulley holding tool to remove the crankshaft pulley center bolt. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
  11. If present, disconnect the 2 oil cooler hose bracket bolts on the timing cover. Move the oil cooler hoses and bracket off of the lower timing cover.
  12. Remove the lower timing belt cover.
  13. Remove the pusher assembly (tensioner) from below the belt tensioner pulley. The pusher rod must always face upward to prevent oil leakage. Depress the pusher rod, and insert a wire pin into the hole to keep the pusher rod retracted.
  14. Remove the timing belt.
  15. Inspect the water pump and replace it if there is any doubt about its condition.
  16. Repair any oil or coolant leaks before installing a new timing belt. If the timing belt has been contaminated with oil or coolant, or is damaged, it must be replaced.
    FIG : Using a double clip to hold the belt in place-3.2L and 3.5L engines

image

17. FIG : For maximum timing belt life, install the belt as shown-3.2L and 3.5L engines \

image

18. FIG : View of timing belt tensioner and pusher-3.2L and 3.5L engines \

image

19. : Timing mark alignment and timing belt routing-3.2L and 3.5L engines

image

20. : View of timing belt tensioner pusher-3.2L and 3.5L engines

image

21. To install:

1. Verify that the sprocket timing marks are still aligned and that the groove and the keyway on the crankshaft timing sprocket align with the mark on the oil pump. The white pointers on the camshaft timing sprockets should align with the dots on the front plate.
    2. Install the timing belt. Use clips to secure the belt onto each sprocket until the installation is complete. Align the dotted marks on the timing belt with the timing mark opposite the groove on the crankshaft sprocket.
      NOTE The arrows on the timing belt must follow the belt-s direction of rotation. The manufacturer-s trademark on the belt-s spine should be readable left-to-right when the belt is installed.
    3. Align the white line on the timing belt with the alignment mark on the right bank camshaft timing pulley. Secure the belt with a clip.
      WARNING If any binding is felt when adjusting the timing belt tension by turning the crankshaft, STOP turning the engine, because the pistons may be hitting the valves.
    4. Rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise to remove the slack between the crankshaft sprocket and the right camshaft timing belt sprocket.
    5. Install the belt around the water pump pulley.
    6. Install the belt on the idler pulley.
    7. Align the white alignment mark on the timing belt with the alignment mark on the left bank camshaft timing belt sprocket.
    8. Install the crankshaft pulley and tighten the center bolt by hand. Rotate the crankshaft pulley clockwise to give slack between the crankshaft timing belt pulley and the right bank camshaft timing belt pulley.
    9. Insert a 1.4mm piece of wire through the hole in the pusher to hold the rod in. Install the pusher assembly while pushing the tension pulley toward the belt.
    10. Pull the pin out from the pusher to release the rod.
    11. Remove the clamps from the sprockets. Rotate the crankshaft pulley clockwise 2 turns. Measure the rod protrusion to ensure it is between 0.16 - 0.24 in. (4 - 6mm).
    12. If the tensioner pulley bracket pivot bolt was removed, tighten it to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).
    13. Tighten the pusher bolts to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
    14. Remove the crankshaft pulley. Install the lower and upper timing belt covers and tighten their bolts to 12 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).
    15. Fit the oil cooler hose onto the timing cover and tighten its mounting bracket bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
    16. Install the crankshaft pulley and tighten the pulley bolt to 123 ft. lbs. (167 Nm).
    17. Install fan pulley assembly and tighten the bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
    18. Install and adjust the accessory drive belts.
    19. Install the cooling fan assembly and tighten the bolts to 72 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
    20. Install the upper fan shroud.
    21. Install the air cleaner assembly and intake air duct.
    22. Connect the negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you highlight timing marhs on pic # XXXXX still not sure where my mark are

hi

sorry i dont have a way of doing that....the cam sprocket marks are right between the 2 cams on each head on the backing plate..the crank mark is where the key way on the crank is at 3 o'clock

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.