jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
11029438

2005 isuzu: LOSE POWER..LOW FUEL..WE SERVICED THE TRUCK..FILTERS

Customer Question

I AM WORKING ON A 2005 ISUZU NPR HD 5.2L, IT WILL RUN FINE FOR 20+ MILES THEN LOSE POWER, AFTER TURNING IT OFF THEN RESTARTING IT, IT WILL RUN FINE AGAIN FOR A SHORT TIME. THE ONLY CODE STORED IS A LOW FUEL RAIL PRESSURE CODE. WE SERVICED THE TRUCK AND CHANGED ALL FILTERS BUT THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE. THANKS FOR ANY INSIGHT. JOHN
Category: Car
Expert:  danny replied 7 years ago.
If you have low fuel rail pressure it could mean a leaky injector or a bad fuel pressure regulator. Or you have a leak on your fuel rail. When warm the fuel pressure test will tell you if it is the regulator. Thanks Dan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
DANNY, WE UNDERSTAND WHAT COULD CAUSE A LOW FUEL PRESSURE CONDITION, WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR IS SOMEONE WHO MAY HAVE SEEN THIS PROBLEM AND COULD GIVE US A MOST LIKELY CAUSE. WE HAVE ACESS TO ALLDATA AND IDENTIFIX, BUT THERE IS NOTHING ON THESE TRUCKS. THE FUEL RAIL SHOWS NO LEAK, AND I WOULD THINK A LEAKING INJECTOR OR REGULATOR WOULD CAUSE THE PROBLEM PRIOR TO HAVING TO DRIVE SEVERAL MILES. IT SEEMS LIKE THE TRUCK HAS TO GET SOME COMPONET HOT BEFORE THE PROBLEM BEGINS.
Expert:  danny replied 7 years ago.
I agree I will openthis up for another mech
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANKS
Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 7 years ago.
Greetings borrella,   I have seen this problem before ... The vehicle I had would go only 10 miles before acting up...Same thing...shut it down and restart...OK for a while again...Turned out to be the fuel pump...as it got hotter it would bind internally and limit fuel VOLUME to the rail...Pressure was always in spec...but there wasnt enough volume getting to the rail...hope this helps...jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THIS WAS PRETTY MUCH WHAT WE EXPECTED, BUT IT WAS GOOD TO HAVE A SECOND OPINION FROM SOMEONE WITH YOUR EXPERIENCE. THANKS
My pleasure...Thank you...jeffrey590