Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician

kia spectra: I think my parking 03

I think my parking brake on my 03 kia spectra is stuck. I had trouble reversing the other day- then a pop and it was fine for a few days. Had trouble reversing again. Now I think the brake is still stuck. The car moves but feels sluggish and I heard a squeaking from the rear passenger side wheel, I think. The brake lever is tight when I engage it.

Is there a simple way for me to release the brake until I can get it to a shop?
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.
   If you reach under the rear of the car you can grab the parking brake cables, and by twisting and bending them you may be able to cause teh brake to release.     If that does not work, the wheels will need to be removed to disengage teh cables to get the brakes to release (not a very fun job since teh drums will be stuck and extremely difficult to remove while the brake is engaged).
    If you can get the brake to release, my suggestion would be to NOT use the parking brake at all untill you get the vehicle in to be repaired.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where excactly do I find the cables? Can I see them?

If I cant release the brake, can I drive the car a few miles to the shop?
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.
The cables should be visible under teh rear of the car, just in front of the back wheels.
   You may be able to drive the car, but doing so may cause damage to the rear brakes.   It would be best if you can make teh whels turn before attempting to drive it.