Car expert
Car expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN,30 YRS EXPERIENCE
22989858

My 06 Duramax set 2 codes, #4 and#6 glow plug circuit failure.

My 06 Duramax set 2 codes, #4 and#6 glow plug circuit failure. Does this mean the glow plugs are bad, or is it something else? I checked both plugs with a ohm meter, and the showed .05 ohms, does this mean they're goood, or bad? Thanks for any help, Mike
Category: Car
Expert:  Car expert replied 7 years ago.
HI I CAN HELP YOU , JUST TO BE SURE THOUGH WHAT WAS THE ACTUAL CODES YOU GOT FROM THE PCM
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
PO674,and PO676 I think, going out to truck and double check.
OK LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
PO674, and PO676
Subject:
Diesel Engine Glow Plug Trouble Codes
Models:
2006-2009 Chevrolet Express
2006-2009 Chevrolet Kodiak
2006-2007 Silverado Classic
2006-2009 GMC Savanna
2006-2007 GMC Sierra Classic
2006-2009 GMC Topkick
2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado
2007-2009 GMC Sierra
Equipped with the 6.6L Diesel Engine RPO LBZ, LLY, or LMM
Condition/Concern:
A vehicle may be brought into the dealer with the SES light on and multiple cylinder glow plug DTCs set. Multiple glow plug DTCs may be caused by internal opens in the glow plugs. There are two different descriptions for an internal open in a glow plug. A fast open glow plug is a plug with an internal open circuitry, but no visual damage to the tip of the plug. A slow open glow plug is a plug that has internal open circuitry, and the tip of the plug is missing or damaged.
Recommendation/Instructions:
Complete the current repair information diagnostics for any symptoms or DTCs found. If the diagnostics for P0671-P0678 led to a glow plug resistance of more than 1 ohm, replace all of the glow plugs. If any of the glow plug tips are missing, the cylinder head must be removed. All debris must be removed from the cylinder. When the tip of a glow plug enters the cylinder, engine damage may occur. Make any engine mechanical repairs as needed.
1. A loose battery feed connection at the starter, alternator, or the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM) may induce glow plug concerns. When the starter, alternator, or GPCM battery feed circuit has a poor connection, the GPCM will sense a voltage fluctuation, and induce the GPCM to power up the glow plugs. Untimed GPCM cycling may cause glow plug concerns. Inspect the connections at the starter, alternator, and both ends of the battery feed cable to the GPCM. Connector C1 terminal 1 at the GPCM is a quick disconnect type of connector. Make sure terminal fit is clean and tight and the quick disconnect is seated properly. The source or main power feed location differs depending on the vehicle being serviced. On GMT800 C/K model trucks, the power feed stud is located in the Under Hood Bussed Electrical Center (UBEC). To access this power feed stud, the secondary UBEC cover has to be removed. On GMT610 "G" vans inspect the underhood junction block connection. On GMT560 4500/5500 trucks inspect the secondary fuse block connection.
2. There are other electrical scenarios that can induce glow plug concerns. If the glow plug system senses a certain electrical "noise" on the power feed, the glow plugs may also go open. This electrical "noise" may be induced by jump starting, disconnecting the batteries with the ignition in the ON position, or a battery charger being used during a module reprogramming event.
3. If the glowplug DTCs have set on a very low mileage vehicle (below 1000 miles) the glowplugs may have been damaged by the engine start up test conducted at the engine assembly plant.
4. Do not replace the GPCM for all 8 internal opened glow plugs. GPCMs have been returned and inspected with no problem found.
5. Complete all electrical circuit inspections and engine repairs as described above. On 2006 model year vehicles be sure the updated calibration was installed into the GPCM per Campaign 06522. After installing the new GPCM software, complete the Fuel Injector Flow Rate Programming following repair information procedures.
Note: Add-on remote starter or alarm kits must be removed before any glowplugs are replaced. Interruptions to normal starting procedures may induce glowplug concerns.
Source: GM Preliminary Information Bulletin #PIP3586D (Oct 10, 2008
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The glow plugs showed .05 ohms. Does this mean they're good?
YES THATS A GOOD VALUE,
THE TROUBLE THEY HAVE BEEN SEEING IS THAT THEY MAY FAIL UNDER ACTAUL LOAD WHEN THEY HEAT UP BUT STILL TEST GOOD WITH AND OHM METER IN A STATIC TEST.
PERFORM THE CHECKS OUTLINED ABOVE AND THEM I WOULD REPLACE THOSE 2 GLOW PLUGS... IF IT GIVES YOU ANY TROUBLE , I'LL BE HERE THANKS