JHoop
JHoop, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

2001 hyundai sonata throttle possision sensor

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

Are you needing information on how to replace it?

What engine is in the car?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2.5lt
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

The sensor may be fine and you may just need to adjust it. Was the sensor just put on or was it adjusted when installed.....see below.

THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (TP SENSOR) ADJUSTMENT

NOTE: Before adjusting the TP Sensor, complete the basic idle speed adjustment.

Editor's Note: Manufacturer has not provided a minimum air rate specification.

1. Disconnect the throttle position sensor connector.

1. Using jumper wires, connect a voltmeter between terminal 1 (sensor ground) and terminal 2 (idle switch) of the throttle position sensor connector.

1. Insert a 0.65 mm (0.0256 in.) thick feeler gauge between the fixed SAS and throttle lever.

1. Loosen the throttle position sensor mounting bolts and turn the TP Sensor body fully counterclockwise.
  2. In this condition, check that there is continuity between terminals 1 and 2.
  3. Slowly turn the throttle position sensor clockwise until you find a point at which there is no continuity between terminal 1 and
  1. Then, tighten the throttle position sensor mounting bolt securely.
  1. Connect the throttle position sensor connector.
  2. Connect the scan tool to the data link connector in the fuse box.
  3. If the scan tool is not used, connect a voltmeter between throttle position sensor connector terminals 1 (sensor ground) and 3 (sensor output) using pin.

NOTE:

1. Do not disconnect the TP Sensor connector.
  2. Use a digital type voltmeter to obtain an accurate value.
  1. Turn the ignition switch "ON" .

NOTE: Do not start the engine

1. Check the throttle position sensor output voltage. Throttle position sensor output voltage : 250 - 800 mV
  2. If the voltage is out of specification, check the throttle position sensor and associated harnesses.
  3. Remove the feeler gauge.
  4. Turn the ignition switch OFF .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure how to adjust TPS. It is not adjustable. It can only be mounted in one possision.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
You can't turn it at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no. it does not have any movement at all - just tested the new tps that we had tried on the car and the voltage perameters are correct according to the modis- when we istall it , same conditions.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

I will see if another expert can help as I dont have any other information

Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com. There is no adjustment to any Hyundai TPS for that year. So much for all those awards. If this chart I provide you has the proper check for the TPS. If this checks out good, there is an open or shorted wire is the system. I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by clicking HERE. I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is a 2.5 motor. the connector is 3 wire not 4.
thank you,
todd
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, HERE is that for the 2.5.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just to be clear..... step 1 says to check the connector, not the tps. We did this with the connector not connected to the tps. the ohms of resistance is 780. It says to replace TP sensor under these conditions. How would this indict the TP sensor being out of wack when the thing isn't connected? We just got a new sensor from another supplier and it does the same thing. That's 2 new sensors with the same results.
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
Maybe we should start over here. Tell me what happened here, and why the TPS is questionable? Did the check engine light come on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We had to remove the intake to replace a power steering line on back of the motor next to the firewall. We also had replaced the #2 bank cat several months ago (it is part of the exhaust manifold.) While we had it apart, we sent the cat back to have it reworked as it was throwing a cat efficiency code. The company that provides our cats said that this car required California emissions.

When we got the car back together, we test drove it. I seemed fine. The customer picked it up but because it was low on fuel she put some gas out of a can in it then drove it 4 miles to a gas station. When she returned, she said it was revving up and bucking. We a vacuum line on the intake that was not fully connected and assumed that was the problem but it continued to buck. We have tried 2 new TP sensors.
The car is showing a code of U0D00 undefined / and TP sensor voltage out of range ( that is with a MAC genXXXXX XXXXXd held meter) With Modis under the Vin Specific codes, P0121 and P0123. / We have also replaced the fuel filter.

Thanks,
Todd
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
I would look for a pinched or shorted wire. I could have happened while doing those repairs. Have you tried a pinout test for the tps wires? Remove the ECU connectors, and check continuity to each wire, then to see if there is continuity to 2 wires to the TPS?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we have traced the wires back as far as we can. pulled all ground connections and cleaned them. we have pulled every connection we can find in the engine compartment and cleaned and reinstalled.
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
The TPS should read a little over a half volt, KOEO. Does it?