Auto Go
Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Certified Undercar Specialist, ASE Advanced Engine Performance Certified.

Special: replacing..water pump but cant get clutch fan off which way

replacing water pump but cant get clutch fan off which way doi turn it or is there a special way of takin it off
Category: Car
Expert:  Auto Go replied 7 years ago.
hello and welcome!

what year make and model are you working on? what is the engine size? If you already typed this info, I'm sorry. Sometimes it's slow comming up.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
03 dodge ram 1500 v8 4.7
Expert:  Auto Go replied 7 years ago.
ok, the fan clutch has regular right hand threads but it can be a pain to get it loose.

What I use is a special wrench attached to an pneumatic hammer to break it loose, but I'm assuming thats not an option here. I recommend obtaining a wrench large enough to fit the large fan clutch nut where it attaches to the front of the water pump. Leaving the belt ON to help hold the pulley from spinning, strike the wrench to the left with a hammer to try to break the nut loose. I can usually get most of em loose like this. Sometimes a regular wrench is too wide to fit there and a special thin fan clutch wrench will be necessary. Your local parts store should carry them and they shouldn't be too expensive. They may even rent you one for free.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything else. If this is what you need, PLEASE ACCEPT!!!