Lil Hammer
Lil Hammer, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ase technician, Maryland state inspector

I AM GETTING A CYLINDER 2 AND 5 MISFIRE ON MY V6 KIA OPTIMA.

Customer Question

I AM GETTING A CYLINDER 2 AND 5 MISFIRE ON MY V6 KIA OPTIMA. I have replaced the plugs, wires and coils. The car shutters like the fuel pump is having difficulty but not always, but wouldn't it throw more misfires than just cyl. 2 and 5 what am i looking at here?
Category: Car
Expert:  Lil Hammer replied 4 years ago.

There could be multiple problems. Have you checked the spark on cylinders 2 and 5? If so and they are good then the next step would be a compression test. If compression is ok, look for a vacumn leak most likely on the intake manifold next to those clyinders. If thst checks of you will need a niod light to check injector pulse. Next you can try swapping the injectors,ie:#2 to #3 and #5 to #6 and see if miss changes cylinders. If the injectors are hard to get to you may want to just replace them. Another senario is the catalytic converter, although this is not likely since the miss is only on 2 cylinders it is still a possibility.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ORIGINALLY IT WAS ONLY CYLINDER 5 WHEN I SWAPPED OUT 5 AND 2 WITH EACH OTHER NOW IT IS BOTH CYLINDERS WHAT DO YOU THINK
I would suspect that the cylinder # XXXXX injector that is now in 2 is bad. It is possible that when moving the injectors ,#5 injector may not be connected properly . Recheck the connector on 5 and I would replace #2 injector since it was fine until #5 injector was moved to it.This is where you have to start based on what happened when you moved the injectors.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
SO YOU DON'T THINK THIS COULD BE A FUEL PUMP PROBLEM THEN? WOULDN'T A FUEL PUMP GOING OUT CAUSE MULTIPLE CYL. MISFIRES AND ALSO WITH 2 CYLINDERS MISFIRING WOULD IT CAUSE THE CAR TO LOSE POWER THAT BAD TO WHERE THERE IS HARDLY ANY ACCELERATION AND SHUTTERING LIKE ITS RUNNING OUT OF GAS? But then when you shut the car off and restart it, its fine until you try to hit the gas too hard and the the check engine light comes on shows those two cylinders as misfireing but then the check engine light will shut off if you feather it
Two cylinders with a dead miss would cuase the car the shake and shudder. Most likely if the fuel pump was bad you would have a random misfire since it would affect all cylinders. Would I say there is absolutly no way the fuel pump is bad,no because until you verify that something is not the problem as far fetched as it may seem it could still be the problem. I would also recheck the plug wires for a good connection because it sounds like it is misfiring under load.Also would check the fuel pressure while the car is acting up.
Lil Hammer, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master ase technician, Maryland state inspector
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well maybe i will swap 2 and 4 to see if four starts misfiring
Expert:  Doctor Tim replied 4 years ago.
Hello ,and good morning. To consisder replaement of all the injectors is the wises choice in your situation. two injectors are obviously not firing, Replace all injectors. Setting that standard is where to begin.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well now its getting a random misfire code po300 and I suspect that the fuel pump may be going out, it only does this when its warmed up and under hard acceleration, then you shut it off its fine for a few miles then it starts up again....where is the schrader valve to test the fuel pressure on a 2005 kia optima, ive traced the lines to the fire wall and the fuel rail and it does not have one...where do you check the fuel pressure at....is it through a computer diag machine or what????
Hi again. A fuel pump iether goe's out completely or nothing. Being the other injectors fire and relase fuel you can be sure there is enough pressure. Remember the Christmas light theory. same with the injectors. By ressetting th that standard, you will be correct in solving the trouble.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah well i've replaced about 7 fuel pumps in 5 different cars this year and 5 out of 7 of them worked but were bad and made the car jerk and run like crap. The fuel pump doesn't always just quit working...it can work but with very little pressure. Just enough to make the injectors fire. but not if they are a little dirty. I replaced the fuel pump tonight and threw lucas injector cleaner...drove the vehicle for 50 miles and put the petal to the metal. No problems the vehicle HAULS ASS. I have a diploma in Harley but don't know kias all that well that is why I was asking for advice. The injectors may have been a little dirty but 90 dollars for a fuel pump with optimum pressure is way better than over 300 dollars for injectors. Thanks for the try but I went with my hunch and experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WELL IT STARTED GETTING A RANDOM MISFIRE SO I REPLACED THE PUMP AND REPLACED INJECTOR 2 AND THE CAR IS BETTER THAN EVER.