Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

How do you replace a 99 lincoln town car wiper motor

Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

you will need to remove the cowl at hood and windshield below the wiper arms to access it:

Wiper Arms

Removal & Installation

NOTE To prevent damage, do not pry arm from pivot with metal or sharp tool.

Raise the blade end of the arm off the windshield and move the slide latch away from the pivot shaft. This will unlock the wiper arm from the pivot shaft and hold the blade end of the arm off the glass at the same time. The wiper arm can now be pulled off the pivot shaft without the aid of any tools.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Raise the wiper arm off the windshield

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Move the slide latch away from the pivot shaft. This will unlock the wiper arm from the pivot shaft

To install, position the auxiliary arm over the pivot pin, (on 1989 and later models align the key-way on the pivot shaft) hold it down and push the main arm head over the pivot shaft. Ensure pivot shaft is in position, and that the blade assembly is positioned to the correct dimension. Hold the main arm head onto the pivot shaft while raising the blade end of the wiper arm and push the slide latch into the lock under the pivot shaft. Then, lower the blade to the windshield. If the blade does not touch the windshield, the slide latch is not completely in place.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Removing the wiper arm and blade from the pivot shaft with the release latch

Wiper Motor

Removal & Installation

NOTE The internal permanent magnets used in the wiper motor are a ceramic (glass-like) material. Be careful when handling the motor to avoid damaging the magnets. The motor must not be struck or tapped with a hammer or other object.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the rear hood seal. Remove the wiper arm assemblies.
  3. Remove the cowl vent screws and disconnect the washer hoses from the washer jets.
  4. Remove the wiper assembly attaching screws, lift the assembly out, and disconnect the washer hose.
  5. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the wiper motor.
  6. Unsnap and remove the linkage cover.
  7. Remove the linkage-retaining clip from the motor operating arm by lifting the locking tab and pulling the clip away from the pin.
  8. Remove the motor retaining screws and remove the motor from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Installation is the reverse of removal.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor