brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

1998 Olds Bravada: I install a new fuel pump..V6 3.4L

How do I install a new fuel pump on my 1998 Olds Bravada V6 3.4L with smartrac system?
Category: Car
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Here is the information on removing the tank and pump........If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

Fuel Tank Shield

Fuel Tank

Caution: Gasoline or gasoline vapors are highly flammable. A fire could occur if an ignition source is present. Never drain or store gasoline or diesel fuel in an open container; due to the possibility of fire or explosion. Have a dry chemical (Class B) fire extinguisher nearby .

Draining Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Use a hand operated pump device in order to remove the fuel through the filler neck.

If pump is equipped, make sure to hook up the static ground wire to a metal part of gas tank before you begin.

Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Loosen the filler neck hose clamp at the fuel tank.
  3. Disconnect the fuel tank filler neck from the fuel tank.
  4. Support the fuel tank.
  5. Remove the fuel tank shield.
  6. Remove the tank straps.

Notice: Care must be used to ensure that the connections to both roll over valves are disconnected prior to lowering the fuel tank more than 51 mm (2 in). Roll over valves are located at both the front and rear of the fuel tank.

Notice: Extreme care must be used when lowering the fuel tank. The fuel sender is made of plastic and may be damaged when lowering the fuel tank.

1. Lower the fuel tank.
  2. Disconnect the fuel and vapor hoses and the electrical connections at the sender.
  3. Remove the fuel sender and seal ring, using the tool J366O8
  4. Discard the old seal ring.
  5. Purge tank, if being repaired.

Installation Procedure

1. Install a new seal ring.

Notice: Do not fold or twist the strainer when installing the sending unit. This action restricts fuel flow.

1. Reinstall sender using tool J36608.
  2. Raise tank slightly.
  3. Reconnect the fuel and vapor hoses and the electrical connections at the sender. Ensure the ground strap is also reinstalled to the body.
  4. Raise the tank fully.
  5. Reinstall the fuel tank filler neck to the tank.
  6. Tighten the clamp.

Notice: The strap nuts must be tightened by steps, alternating between the four nuts until the specified torque is reached. Otherwise, the bottom of the tank will flex upward and the fuel gage will indicate fuel remaining in the tank when the tank runs dry.

1. Install the fuel tank brackets with insulator strips in place.
    • Tighten the strap nuts to 45 Nm (33 lb. ft.) .
  1. Install the fuel tank shield
  2. Lower the vehicle.
  3. Replenish fuel.
  4. Reinstall fuel tank filler cap.
  5. Reconnect the negative battery cable. If a memory retention device was not used, please reset (to the extent possible) all devices that lost their memory after the battery was disconnected.
  6. Check for leaks.

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,