Auto Go
Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Certified Undercar Specialist, ASE Advanced Engine Performance Certified.
18805678

My low coolant light is on, but my reservoir is full. has new

My low coolant light is on, but my reservoir is full. has new radiator and water pump. how do i get the low coolant light to go off?
Category: Car
Expert:  Auto Go replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer!

Let me start by asking what year, make, model and engine size is your vehicle?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1998 olds achieva 3100 engine V6
Expert:  Auto Go replied 7 years ago.
ok, sorry for some reason it dosen't always come up right away.. sorry for that.

what you will want to do is go out to the coolant reservoir and whack it pretty good with a wooden block or something similar. Don't hit it hard enough to break it. These vehicles have a problem with the float assembly sticking in the bottom part of the coolant tank. Usually this is enough to get it freed up. If not, here is what you need to do to confirm that the float is the problem.

With the ignition on, verify the coolant level in the surge tank is full and the low coolant light is on. Disconnect the coolant level switch connector from the coolant tank. If the low coolant light stays on, check for a short on the Gray or Yellow/Black wire from the cluster. If the light goes off, plug the switch back in and slowly remove the coolant level switch from the surge tank. If the light goes out when the switch is in a partially removed position, replace the surge tank, the floating magnet is stuck. If the light does not go out in any position, replace the coolant level switch.

Like I said, it's a 9 out of 10 chance the the float is just stuck in the tank and if you can get it freed up, you ahould be good to go.

If this is the info you need, please press accept!

If I can help you any further, just let me know!