brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

I have an 83 Porsche 944 and is overheating in traffic. I tried

I have an 83 Porsche 944 and is overheating in traffic. I tried to change the thermostat but at the h20 inlet at the top of the engine there was no thermostat present. The coolant is full, water pump is not leaking. Do you think it could be thermofan switch. If so where is it located.

The switch is located at the bottom of the radiator and could be the problem if the fan is not running. If the fan is running the thermostat could be the issue which it is located in the water pump.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do I have to take the water pump out to install the thermostat or can it be done on the car. And how difficult it is I know Chevy trucks inside and out but this car is a little different.
The water pump does not need to be removed. There is a snap ring in the front that hold the thermostat in place.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the answer and bening patient just one more question. On a scale from I to 10 how difficult is it. I have alot of experience with chevy truck and just rebuilt a toyota tercel engine.
About a 6....if you rebuilt a tercel engine you can handle this!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok just let me claify for my sake. Thermofan switch located at bottom of raditor and thermostat is in the water pump and not in the water intlet at top of engine. For the 944 there is no thermostat in the water inlet? It's just made that way?
Correct on all statements.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is no thermostat in the water inlet at top of engine? Correct
Yes that is correct.