David Dill
David Dill, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC
14774302

Need instructions for removing and repacking the front wheel

Customer Question

Need instructions for removing and repacking the front wheel bearings on a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 4WD.
Category: Car
Expert:  David Dill replied 5 years ago.
ALLDATA OnlineHome | Account | Contact ALLDATA | Log Out | Help

FAMILY AUTO CENTER INC

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference | Collision Request
Component Search:
Conversion Calculator

2001 Mitsubishi Truck Montero Sport ES 4WD V6-3.0L SOHC

Vehicle Level Maintenance Wheels and Tires Wheel Hub Service and Repair Removal and Installation
Removal and Installation
Notes

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

REMOVAL SERVICE POINTS
<> CALIPER ASSEMBLY REMOVAL
Secure the removed caliper assembly with wire to prevent it from failing off.

<> JAM NUT REMOVAL

Use special tool MB990954 to remove jam nut.

<> FRONT HUB ASSEMBLY REMOVAL

Do not drop the outer bearing inner race.

INSTALLATION SERVICE POINT
>>A<< JAM NUT INSTALLATION

Fig. 2 Spindle Nut Removal

Using special tool MB990954 tighten the jam nut by the following procedures.
  1. Tighten the jam nut to 127 - 196 Nm (94 - 145 ft. lbs.) , and then turn the front hub assembly to run in the bearings.
  2. Loosen the nuts to 0 Nm (0 inch lbs.).
  3. After re-tightening to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) , loosen the jam nuts byapproximately 30 degree angle . >>B<< SPRING WASHER INSTALLATION

Install the lock washer. If the hole position is not aligned with the jam nut, move it within a range of not more than 20 degree angle until the holes are aligned.

>>C<< HUB ROTARY SLIDING RESISTANCE AND WHEEL BEARING AXIAL MOVEMENT ADJUSTMENT <4WD>

1. Use a spring scale to measure the hub rotary sliding resistance (hub rotation breakaway torque) as shown in the illustration. Standard value: 4 - 19 N (0.9 - 4.3 inch lbs.) [0.3 - 1.3 Nm (2.7 - 11.5 inch lbs.)]
  2. If the rotary sliding resistance is not within the standard value, remove the lock washer and adjust by the following procedure.
  1. If the rotary sliding resistance is lower than the standard value, use special tool MB990954 to tighten the jam nut.
  2. If the rotary sliding resistance is higher than the standard value, use special tool MB990954 to loosen the jam nut.

1. Install a dial gauge as shown in the illustration, and then move the hub in the axial direction and measure how far the front wheel bearing moves. Standard value: 0.05 mm (0.002 inch) or less
  2. If the distance exceeds the standard value, remove the spring washer and use special tool MB990954 to tighten the jam nut.
  3. If adjustment is not possible, disassemble the hub and inspect each part. >>D<< DRIVESHAFT END PLAY ADJUSTMENT <4WD>

1. Push the driveshaft in by hand towards the knuckle until they touch.
  2. Measure the clearance between the drive flange and the spacer with a feeler gauge as shown in the illustration. Standard value: 0.4 - 0.7 mm (0.02 - 0.03 inch)
  3. If the amount of play is not within the standard value, adjust by selecting a shim that will bring the play to the standard value.

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
Looks like a good weekend project
David Dill, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is special tool MB990954? and to clean/repack is this like standard ole bearings where you put grease in the palm of your hand and press the bearing into your palm until the grease comes out the bearings?
It is for the jam nut, any socket that will fit and remove it will do. Be sure to remove the old grease first. Different greases don't mix well and can actually liquify.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I assume these instructions are the same for a V6-3.5 Liter XLT also? the instructions show the ES version in 3.0 liter.

THanks

sc

Yes, the instructions showed the same procedure between the two models.