Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mehanic 39 years,30 with the NYPD Fleet Service Division
1699649

My chevy s10 has an oil leak at the rear of the engine. I have

My chevy s10 has an oil leak at the rear of the engine. I have replaced the intake manifold, the valve cover, and the distributer gaskets. It still leaks. What is it
Category: Car
Expert:  Roadside Jerry replied 7 years ago.
Hi, if you are sure it is coming from the top rear of the engine,the only other part in that area that can leak oil is the oil pressure sending unit,located near the distributor . I suggest you wash down and dry the engine in that area,then run and recheck for the source of the leak. If the problem seems to be the intake again,I would remove the manifold again,and be sure to use either the GM sealant or Permatex Right Stuff to seal the front and rear intake to block area. Make sure the PVC system is funtioning correctly so there is no pressure build up in the crankcase.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry it's not coming from the oil pressure sender..
Is it leaking again from the manifold? Or from below,possibly a rear main seal?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have no idea where the leak is coming from... I pulled the bell housing from the rear of the engine to see if it was the rear, but my torque converter was clean and dry, so I assumed it was not the rear main seal, could I have been wrong?

The oil may not have gotten as far back as the torque converter but it would be wet on the backside of the flexplate if the rear seal is leaking.The first thing you need to do is find the source of the leak,then you can go about fixing it. I am going to send you a link that explains using a dye to find leaks. I don't believe you have to go this far to find most leaks,just cleaning the area using some Gunk engine cleaner,followed by a water flush,or brake cleaner and compressed air is usually sufficient in most cases.

http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/2009/06/oil-leak-detection-use-of-uv-dye-to-pinpoint-leaks/