Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  13 years of experience, Factory training for Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Saturn

2003 Hyundai accent: hatchback..Keyed..unlocking..the latch

I have a 2003 Hyundai accent, 2 door with a hatchback. The hatchback will not open. When Keyed the lock mechanism sounds like it is locking and unlocking but the latch doesn't seem to work. What can I do?
Category: Car
Expert:  Josh replied 7 years ago.
Hello, what's most likely happened is the latch has seized we commonly have to do it remove the liftgate trim from the inside of the vehicle and force the latch mechanism open manually, then replace the latch. To remove the liftegate trim there are 8 screws, marked with arrows in the image I've included below. Once you can access the inner liftgate you should be able to find the latch and the rods going to it, and force the lever into the open position so you can get it open. Once you have the door open there are three bolts that hold the latch to the liftgate.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.