George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

2002 hyundai elantra - PO441.... Is it common for this valve

Customer Question

2002 hyundai elantra - PO441.... Is it common for this valve to go bad on these cars? Where is it located? Some ppl say on the throttle body, others next to gas tank? 138,000 miles on it.
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your qusestion,

It is fairly common for this code to be set on this vehicle. There are two valves one controls vacuum from the engine to the charcoal canister and the other controls fresh air to the canister. Either of these failing will allow this code to set but it is more likely that the purge valve is clogged with carbon from the canister or has failed to seal.

Your purge valve is located on the back of the intake plenum, if you follow the vacuum line you will come to the valve mounted in a rubber sleeve. If the canister that is mounter under the left rear corner of the car has failed the carbon contained there will be drawn by vacuum to the front and get stuck in the valve. Inspect the valve for this carbon.

If the canister close valve located on the canister has failed to close the fuel tank pressure sensor will not "see" when the purge valve opens and you may have the same code set.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne is you can take a chance and put a purge valve on and hope the code does not return or you can diagnose the entire emission system to find the root cause of the problem.

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If the canister that is mounter under the left rear corner of the car has failed the carbon contained there will be drawn by vacuum to the front and get stuck in the valve. Inspect the valve for this carbon.

Left rear corner, is that the one nearest to the gas tank?

Your purge valve is located on the back of the intake plenum, if you follow the vacuum line you will come to the valve mounted in a rubber sleeve.

Also, is this mounted to the throttle body? or is an "In-line" type of connection? I went out and looked, there seems to be 3 different hoses connected into the intake on the side the canister is on, (Drivers) the one in the middle has rusted, near the connection, those hoses are covered by "Hose protective type sleeves" I'll replace the control vale first, as it seems like that's the problem, but want to be sure I'm looking for the right thing. The pictures I saw of it online don't look like what I'm looking at - connected to the throttle body.

Which one is it....?
Thanks!
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

The purge valve is at location #16 in the diagram below, these are not the best drawings, I will try to find photos and post those

graphic

graphic

The PCSV is what you are looking for

This is the canister at the back of the car

graphic

This is the purge valve

graphic

The actual purge valve looks like this

graphic

When you remove it tap the end that has the hose going to the back of the car on a piece of paper and see what comes out, if it is black chunks you will have to replace the canister and blow out the line between the purge valve and the canister.

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
George, The diagrams you sent me are great, I was able to buy a PV this morning from my dealer, however, the picture you sent me, I believe is not one for my car..., there seems to be lots of different opinions as far as where this damn thing is located, under the front wheel well, on the firewall, etc.

It seems like a 1 minute fix IF I can find it,...., do you know where it is on a 02 Elantra?>
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

The location picture is correct, the valve picture is a close representation. The valve is mounted below the intake directly below the throttle body on a metal bracket in a rubber sleeve. It will have a vacuum hose attached to either end and an electrical connector like the one pictured on the valve pic.

Hyundai really got its act together in '03 so the photos and diagrams for your year are a little weak. I will go through what is available for other components in the same area and see if one may show the valve better

Let me know if you find it in the meantime

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
George, I did find it, you have to remove the large hose from the air cleaner housing in order to see/access it.

You did great, and thanks again!

Hopefully that light stays off now.............
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Glad to help, if the light comes back, you didn't find particles of carbon and the gas cap fits correctly and is in place, let me know and I will help you get to the bottom of the cause. The next place to check will be at the canister for any leaking hoses or the valve back there may not be closing with the key on.

Glad you found it and thank you for using JA!!