JHoop
JHoop, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

1994 Pontiac: a Summit Racing, cam kit, T1 to T4..Trans..stalled

i live in NC and my husband, went to MI to get his brother who is 33, and a very good mechanic, to help him put a Summit Racing, cam kit, T1 to T4, in his 1994 Pontiac Trans AM, well the computer didnt match the kit so they reprogrammed it, then the Opti spark, needed changing so they changed that, now it idles fine, and backing up it was fine, but as soon as it hit the pavement it stalled out. he was suppose to be home in four days, it has been 10, my six year old son wants his dad home, can someone please help me, thanks so much!! Becca
Category: Car
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Hello , my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com. Do you still have the original chip?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well actually they didnt start the chips until 95', my husband did say that the voltage was runing low but he just fixed that , and that the car was idleing at 950 rpm, the fans wont run now, still is getting an intermintent signal to the injectors, does not do it at idle, once under load the band width increases to wide open to the injectors which then floods the motor out, hope you can help us, thanks again
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Is the check engine light on? Are there any codes stored in the computer? Do the have any tools to diagnose this problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no tools to diagnose the problem, these guys are in adrian mi, and have 3 awesome mechanics working on this, check engine light is not on, was getting a lean code so we increased the fuel 25 percent and the lean code went away, had to increase the fuel due to the size of the cam throttle body and head combustion chambers, as long as the car is not in load position, have not increased size of injectors still running 20 lb injectors, should we increase injector size?.
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
If the cam is too large, it may have an effect on MAF and MAP sensors. Do you know what the engine's vacuum is at idle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
replace both sensors, his power brakes feel like manual brakes, no problem idling, idles great, 1000 csm throttle body on it, 525 lift cam, dont know what the engine is at idle, could it possibly be the cooling temp sensora, if we unplug it would it level it out
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
When you unplug the coolant temp sensor, the computer system goes into limp mode. That is the reason it runs ok. If the timing has been set properly, and there are no vacuum leaks,then I would assume, since the check engine light is not on, that the chip is to blame. The chip burner has to remove the manifold absolute pressure sensor, or vacuum sensor,from the fuel and timing controls. You have no power brakes. They rely on vacuum. If it does not have the right chip for these modifications, it will never run right.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
remember this car does not have a chip flash drive, could it be the same thing
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
The 1994 systems did not have EEPROMS, or, programable chips. So, when you ram a cam at it, it has no way to compensate for that change.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay so when you say to remove the MAP sensor we need to remove it from the program on the flash drive, the computer was reprogrammed to handle the cam change but we do know that the MAP sensor is still in the fuel and timing program
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
I looked back, and i was confused. This vehicle has EEPROM. Does the programmer have a way to remove MAP sensor function?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
What software are they using for this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we dont know?
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
I would suggest purchasing a pre programmed chip. There are several companies online that can do this. If you give them the modifications, they can burn the proper fuel and timing trim. Do you want a recommendation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are you talking about getting a whole new pcm, or reprogramming the flash drive, does not have a removable eeprom
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Yes, a pre programmed PCM.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
recomend any one
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by clicking HERE. I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
JHoop, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner