Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

92 Grand Prix: high pressure..steering..it loosened on the gear side

Customer Question

92 Grand Prix. Trying to replace the high pressure steering line. I've removed the line from the pump side, but I can't get it loosened on the gear side. I've applied some anti-seize spray about 5 times, letting it sit overnight. I just don't have much room behind the block to manipulate very easy.
I need some ideas on what to do.
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

Just cut the line right where you are trying to loosen it at the rack and then use a socket to spin the nut out! It works really good!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how do i cut the line?
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Any way possible!

I have a cutting tool.... it s small little air saw that will cut it in 2 seconds. You could also use a cutter wheel i you can fit it in there. If not, you will need to use a good size side cutters. It may take a bit to cut through it, but once its off, the nut will spin right out with a socket!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'll try that. Do I have to worry about metal shavings getting into the gear box?
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
NO.... just as long as there is not a lot of shaving around when you pull of the nut you will be ok. You could spray it clean with brake cleaner or something like that after cutting the line before you spin the nut off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had to use a hack saw, but it worked. Was then able to get the socket on it and break it loose.
Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Excellent!

Glad to hear you got it!

Let me know if you have any further questions!