stin1974
stin1974, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Domestic transmission diagnostics and troubleshooting. General repair diagnostics and troubleshoot.
2267585

1992 olds cutlass ciera: 10 minutes..u put it in gear it stalls

my 1992 olds cutlass ciera will stall after driving for 5 or 10 minutes it will start but when u put it in gear it stalls again
When it initially starts and runs, does it want to stall when you come to a stop?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes after you drive it for a few minutes
Does it seem to at least want to stay running better if put into reverse rather than a forward gear when this is happening?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no it wants to stall in both reverse and drive
Does it seem to run fine in park or neutral? Just wanting to stall out in gear?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes it just wants to stall in gear not neutral or park and if you let it sit for 20 minutes or so it works fine again
I would suggest having the transmissions lock up switch checked. Lock up kicks on around 45-55 mph and is basicly like another gear to improve gas miledge. If they stick they will cause this problem. The vehicle will not have enough torque or power to stay running when they are locked on. They will run fine when in park or neutral but not when put into gear. This is what I would suspect as your problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
where is this located on the transmission
You have to remove the transmission pan and where the transmission pump is (front of trans) you will see 2 wires going to it.