ASE Master Tech 35yrs
ASE Master Tech 35yrs, ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck Tech, foriegn and domestic
10832065

2001 Aurora: it starts and runs good but it will die..minuets

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Aurora 4.0 and it starts and runs good but it will die and either start again right away or I need to wait 5-10 minuets.
Category: Car
Expert:  stin1974 replied 4 years ago.
ANy lights on in the dash while it is running? Check engine light?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Check engine light is on but when I had it checked it was for something that was totally different, it had to do with emissions.

Expert:  stin1974 replied 4 years ago.
Was the code oxengen sensor related?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think it was
Expert:  stin1974 replied 4 years ago.
Well then I would have that checked out first. This can result in the vehicle running poorly. Wether the 02 sensor is bad or you have an intake exaust leak or a leak somewhere in the exaust before the sensor, all of these can cause this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That is not the problem I was told by many mechanic that it would not cause this. The car runs great other than that it dies and sometimes won't start after it is shut down and I wait a few minuets and it starts. I know a bit about cars and I don't know if the crank sensor would cause that but I think it is something like that.

Expert:  stin1974 replied 4 years ago.
Ok, Ill opt out and see if someone else can better help you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok
Expert:  ASE Master Tech 35yrs replied 4 years ago.
To answer this, I need some further information. What is your fuel pressure reading? Does the security light come on when this happens? Does this happen only when first starting or does your car die while driving? Does it start, run for a little while and die? Does it do it only when cold, or only when hot, or it doesn't matter whether it is hot or cold? Have you changed your fuel filter? Are there any codes set? If so, what are the codes? Do you know if you have a pass-lock system or VATS system? Is there a computer chip in your key? Keys with computer chips are a VATS system and will have a small black oval piece above the beginning of the key cuts. Pass-lock system uses a normal key.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't think that it ever did it cold. It started with I would shut it off and sometimes it wouldn't start and I would wait 1-15 minutes and it would start. Then it started doing it more often and it started happening when I was driving most of the time it starts right up after it died but now it seems to be doing it more often and sometimes it still starts right up and other times I need to wait. This started a few years ago and it seems to go in spurts it will run fine for a month or more and then it will start doing it again. I don't know what the fuel pressure is and I have not changed the filter. The security light never came on and the key looks normal so it must be a pass-lock. I don't know of any codes other than the 02 sensor I had the display tell me to check the gas cap once and it never happened again. I live in Minnesota and it happens in the summer and not often in the winter I don't recall it ever happening in the winter if it did it was once or twice. I am asking these questions to stop from replacing things that don't need to be replaced so if you don't know what it is for sure please say so.

With an intermittent problem such as this, you can only take an educated guess as to what may be causing this. It's very possible this is an electrical problem, bad ground or loose connection. My guess would be ignition switch since it gets a lot of use. To know for sure, it would have to be tested when the problem occurs.

Here is a link to recalls and service bulletins on your vehicle. My advise to you is first make sure all these bulletins have been done to your car. The dealer can check to verify what has and what has not been done. Any item with a service bulletin on it will be done at no charge to you by the dealership. I was surprised to find 149 service bulletins on your car, many which are electrical problems.

Recalls and Bulletins for 2001 Olds Aurora

http://www.allworldauto.com/tsbs/2001_oldsmobile_aurora_technical_service_bulletins_137-2107-2001-1.html

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't mean to sound unappreciative but I have been told this by a few different mechanics that I need to wait until it fails and then get it checked. I came to this site because the way they worded it is that the problem will be resolved. I do appreciate your answer in that you say that there is no real answer to the problem and not guessing.
The other mechanics have told you this because we do not have magic wands or chrystal balls. Just like doctors, there are tests to perform to pinpoint the problem and the problem has to be occuring during the test to find it. Here are some symptoms you can look for to help diagnos the problem. If just before it dies, your car chuggs and hesitates, the problem will be fuel related and most probably is your fuel pump going bad. If your car just completely shuts off without warning and will not restart, it will most probably be ignition module or crank sensor. If it shuts off without warning and does restart, it's most probably your ignition switch or wire connection problem. First check all your grounds for good clean connections. This seems to be temperature related. Note that metal (such as in your wires, switches, and components) contracts when cold and expands when hot. This can make a difference in making contact or having an open circuit. Something to think about to guide you in the diagnosis. There is a possibility that you have a dirty crank sensor that interups the signal. Try the least expensive options first such as cleaning contacts before replacing parts.