danny, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at school corp bus garage! Experience in fleet diesel and regular automotive.

2003 silhouette: lever assembly wont start

2003 silhouette shift level collar seems to have failed. lever assembly operates mechanically, but tranny is stuck in drive, car won't start, lever system does not seem to be engaged with tranny.

You have a break in your linkage or cable to tranny. Something has come loose probably just a pin. Follow from slector to tranny or tranny to gear selector.

Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
A little more information: Tranny is stuck in drive, shift lever operates, all connections seem engaged and operating on steering column, so if that is the problem the cable disconnect would be down at the tranny end? This is exactly what happened: No prior tranny slippage or any such symptoms. I started car this a.m. and shift lever immediately slipped. Car went into N, but shift lever was all the way down. I shifted it up and down and it was loose, like not really connected. This action put the tranny in D, and I shut it off. Because the tranny is now in D, and I cannot get it out of D, the car will not start. Is there any way this could be anything other than the cable, like a solenoid? Thanks.
You can manually put it back in Park on the tranny. Really sounds like your sifting mec is apart