danny, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at school corp bus garage! Experience in fleet diesel and regular automotive.

2000 Ford: van..ignition key..The steering wheel moves..neutral

Customer Question

We have a 2000 Ford e350 van and I cannot get the ignition key to turn. The steering wheel moves freely but the transition is stuck in park (cannot move it to neutral). Any ideas on how to get the key to turn. The van has been working/driving great.
Category: Car
Expert:  danny replied 7 years ago.

Your tumblers are worn or your key. You can try the up and down jiggle or pulling the key out slightly and then turning it. Try a spare key if you have one. Other than that you need to replace your key cylinder in your ignition. Since the sterring wheel is moving its not locked. Unless you have alot of play and then you need to pull harder to get it to unlock.

Thanks Dan

Expert:  danny replied 7 years ago.
Did my answer help? Try a little lube too.