Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes

Stopping..I sent to a repair shop and the shop called for tow service

Customer Question

After stopping at a store, the engine would not start. I sent to a repair shop and the shop called for tow service. I went back to the car and tried again; it started. I took it over to the repair shop and left it there. Later in the day when I went to check on it because no one had called to tell me what the problem was, I was told that they let it sit for a time and then started it. They did this a few times, so they said thay did not know what was wrong. I drove it home.

Yesterday, about two or three weeks later, a drove the car to a few places and then home. When I tried to start the car to go somewhere in the late afternoon, I would not start.

I left it sit in the driveway over night, and tried to start it this morning. It started right away as if there was no problem.

When the car did not stop, the engine would turn over in a normal way, but no 'spark' happened.

The car is a 1998 Ford Explorer V6.
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.

This is a real tough one to diagnose with out it acting up in a controlled environment. I have run into a few of these, including my father in law's 1997 in Cinci. He came to visit, and had the same symptoms. I had diagnosed one in the shop a few weeks earlier and actually got it to act up. I bought him a crank sensor because it took care of the customers issue, and like I said, same symptoms. It was a "Hail Mary Pass" but did work out for him. That was last Christmas, and he averages 200 miles a week.

Your sort of in the same situation. I am not there, and we have no codes or scan data. The sensor is located by the crank pulley, sort of off center to the right a bit {and by right, I mean the engines right, not yours when facing it}

With out further scan data or a trouble code, this is as best info I can give you.

I hope I was of assistance to you.

Scott.

Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. It is about what I expected. Someone needs to do a computer check to see if that gives a clue. I'll try another Merlin shop and see if they can do that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How expensive is a crank sensor, and what is the cost of labor to replace it?
Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.

Depending on brand, from $40 to $80 dollars, and around an hour labor to install. I would also reccommend replacing the connector and wire {solder and heat shrink the splice... butt connectors are a NO NO!!!} if there is oil leakage/build up on the connector.

O.K.?? o.k.