brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

instrument bezel on my 2002 996 needs to be wash

The instrument bezel on my 2002 996 needs to be replaced. A detailer at a car wash spray something on the lens that will not come off. The dealer wants to replace the entire instrument display which is $1000+
Category: Car
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.
What have you tried to correct the damage of the display lens?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have tried plexus, windex, water, and another plastic lens cleaner recommended by a detailer. The dealer tried to get it off as well.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.

Before replacing the display there is a product from 3M that is for the headlights (plastic lens covers). What it consist of is sanding the lens with several different grades of sand paper then a cleaner to clean it and a clear product to cover it with when done. It wont look perfect but it does a great job and a bunch cheaper than replacing the display!

You can get the product at any parts store.

If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you give the names of the products I need to do this? As much detail as you can provide the better it is for me.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.
I think it is called a head light refurbish kit and I know it is made by 3m. If you tell the parts store this information they will know what your talking about.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this it?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.
Yes that is what I was talking about.