rich
rich, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master tech with L1--19+years of dealership experience
18317595

Cherokee: starting problems..foot..the accelerator..engine start

i have starting problems with a 96xj cherokee, after a drive long or short the engine refuses to start , only whilst turning the key and my foot flat to the floor on the accelerator will the engine start, only seems to do it when the engine is warm. I have had the problem looked at by jeep maddington and after charging me $879 to find the problem and $228 to replace the throttle sensor it has not changed a thing , i had to drill my fuel cap the problem seem to come around the same time
Category: Car
Expert:  rich replied 7 years ago.
it sounds like you have an injector leaking --it is flooding the engine after you stop-- and that is why you have to floor it to make it start--do you want to test this or are you going to take it in for diag
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is there a way to test this theory before i take it in for a diag ive spent to much money already
Expert:  rich replied 7 years ago.
you will need a fuel pressure gauge that reads about 100 lbs
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i can take xj back to shop and ask them to do a fuel pressure test how much pressure is needed ,and can a defective thrott sensor be responsible for these symptoms, can a loose fuel cap cause pressure failure
Expert:  rich replied 7 years ago.
what you are looking for is the fuel pressure drop after shutting the engine off when hot--it should not drop more than 10 psi in 10 minutes--if it does then you figure out why it drops--somthing leaks-- the throolte sensor would have nothing to do with the fuel pressure loss nor would a loose gas cap--one other thing to check is i had one in a while back that the wires for #1 and #2 injector were crossed and it gave me a hard start