danny, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at school corp bus garage! Experience in fleet diesel and regular automotive.

2000 Boxster: My right headlight..beam and indicators..low beam..bulbs

Customer Question

2000 Boxster S.

My right headlight stopped working. High-beam and indicators worked, but not low beam.

I pulled the light unit out but the bulbs were fine. Put it back in, now none of the lights work in that unit. Checked and the connector receptacle in the car seems to move around too much. I suspect it is not clipping in properly.

what can I do to just get it in properly now, till i can schedule a repair?
Category: Car
Expert:  danny replied 7 years ago.

Leaving the lights on you need to move the wiring around and see if lights comes on. Pushing the wiring connectors together does it go on and off again. Also follow the wires to see if you have any nics that might be grounded out.

Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are you familiar with the porsche headlight setup? The headlight is a single unit that slides in on a rail. There does not seem to be a way to get at the connectors while the light unit is installed. It slides in and clips into the receptacle like a computer bus slot.

the receptacle seems to move backwards when this happens instead of staying in place to receive the headlight connector. I was hoping for a way to reach the receptacle to hold it in place while inserting the light unit.
Expert:  danny replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the info. Can you pull the wiring harness out from the back to clip it on in the engine compartment. Also moving the wires around to see if you can get a broken connection to act up and inspect the wires. The receptacle might not be secure and in place when you connect the light unit. There may be some parts to remove to access the harness

Thanks Dan