Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

Land Rover..24-volt system..military vehicle but as a Series III, 88)

I have a 1974 Land Rover Series III, 88. It was former Belgian military and has a 24-volt system. I got it as a restoration project (not as a military vehicle but as a Series III, 88). I discovered that the only original spark plugs I could get for it would cost me $100 + per plug. I'm now considering converting to a 12-volt system. Will I have to replace every electrical component including the wiring? What would you suggest?
Thanks, XXXXX
Category: Car
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 years ago.
Hello, Rabbi Schamberg. Thank you for using our service!

Good and bad news. First the good: You can keep the existing wiring, connectors, switches, etc.
The bad: All electrical loads (starter, generator, ignition coil, lamps, etc.) will have to be replaced.
In conclusion, and taking into consideration the high cost and rarity of 24 Volt items, you will be better off converting to 12 Volts.