jagmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 years Jaguar Master, Land Rover Master, Aston Martin certified

2005 santa fe: revs..4,000) rpms when driving..40mph..replicate

Customer Question

My 2005 santa fe revs the engine very high (up to 4,000) rpms when driving. This happens after about 25 minutes of driving, and typically at around 40mph. The mechanic I took it to was unable to replicate the issue. The problem occurs when the gas tank is very full, or less than 1/4 full.
Category: Car
Expert:  jagmaster replied 7 years ago.
It sounds to me like a vacuum leak might be present. That's a strange problem. Did the mechanic pull codes from the transmission? How often does it happen?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No error codes were taken off the transmission or anything. It has happened on three seperate occasions over the last two weeks. It only happens following about 25 minutes of stop and start (city) driving.
Expert:  jagmaster replied 7 years ago.
I think the problem has to do with the transmission. It's a strange problem and honestly this is too hard to diagnose online. I am thinking the transmission must be slipping and that's why the engine revs up. I think I would have someone look at the trans fluid condition. Sorry I couldn't be more help.