autopro
autopro, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Diploma in auto tech/high performance engines. ASE certs in hvac, brakes, elec. sys, steering/susp.
21625352

2000 Bravada: SUV. It ran fine..stalled..wouldnt start

Customer Question

I purchased a used 2000 Bravada SUV. It ran fine for about 2 weeks and then stalled on me. It wouldn't start again. It turns over but doesn't fire. I changed the fuel pump and ignition modulator but it still won't start. What could my problem be?
Category: Car
Expert:  autopro replied 7 years ago.
Hello, So have you checked fuel pressure or spark?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes we checked the fuel pressure and it was fine and we checked the coil for a spark and that was also fine
Expert:  autopro replied 7 years ago.
So is there spark at the plugs? Or is there just power to the coil?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I believe there is spark at the plugs and power to the coil
Expert:  autopro replied 7 years ago.

so I need you to make sure that there is spark at the plug wires so you have a spark tester. Also has there been any repairs done to the vehicle and is there a check engine light?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay. I was wrong. There is no spark at the plug wires but the coil is good because we put it in another car and it worked fine. The repairs we did was replace the fuel pump and the ignition modulator. The check engine light is not on
Expert:  autopro replied 7 years ago.

One last question what was the fuel pressure

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Don't know exactly but my husband said it was high up on the gauge, if that helps
Expert:  autopro replied 7 years ago.
Ok well first verify that the fuel pressure is around 60 psi. Next you want to check for spark from the coil to the distributor, you want to do this with a spark tester. If you have spark in between there and none to the plugs then you know that the problem exists in the distributor or timing. If there is no spark to the dis. then you want to check for voltage and ground at the coil as well as a signal from the crank sensor. If you have any more questions let me know thanks for using just answer and your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for helping me but I inadvertently gave you the wrong year of the car. It is actually a 1993. Does that change your diagnois?
Expert:  autopro replied 7 years ago.

I'm not sure off the top of my head what the fuel psi is and nor the wiring diagram, for i am not at work but if you would like i will get wiring diagrams for that year tomorrow and upload them for you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That would be great. So it sounds like you think it may be a wiring problem?
Expert:  autopro replied 7 years ago.
not necessarily fuel pressure needs to be verified as well as spark and power to the coil
Expert:  autopro replied 7 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
Expert:  autopro replied 7 years ago.
sorry it tool me so long, let me know if this helps or if you have any more questions, your feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks, matt