BigBob, Shop Manager/Technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience

Saab: My orange engine malfunction light comes..electrical

Customer Question

My orange "engine malfunction" light comes on and off periodically, it doesn't flash but remains constant. The earliest my local saab dealer could look at it was 4 weeks ahead, a local electrical repairer within a few days, however on the due date it was not showing any malfunction. Can you tell me what could be causing this so that I might check for a possible solution?
Category: Car
Expert:  BigBob replied 7 years ago.

The light should still hold a code and the scanner should still be able to get it.

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine drivability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vacuum leak, engine misfire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.

The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault code numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes."

let me know if I can help further.

Good luck,