Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

lancer: MY OLD LADY left the oil cap off, last time she check the oil.

i have a 2002 mits lancer. engine model 4G94. MY OLD LADY left the oil cap off, last time she check the oil. drove the car for a week . 70 miles a day. with the oil light flashing once and awhile. I get in ,see the light, check the oil. cap is gone, oil is blown all over the engine. i put 2 quarts in. next day she comes home from work. the idiot light and oil light are on. i check the oil and the level is good. did she blow the engine?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 7 years ago.
Hi,how are you,it sounds like it did do some engine damage yes,maybe not the entire engine,but some damage,my suggestion is to have compression checked on all cylinders and see what you got.Hope this helps.Depending on how low the oil got while driving will determine the damage.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
IS IT POSSIBLE its the bearings on the cranksnaft?
Yes,absolutely it could have worn the bearings or scorn them.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
WILL THE COMPRESSION CHECK TELL YOU IFS ITS THE BEARINGS? will i do more damage to motor if i countioue to drive as is? are bearings cheaper to replace than the whole motor?
Yes,in my opinion you will do further damage by driving the car,yes bearings would be cheaper to replace than the whole motor,still not cheap though.The compression test will tell if you need to replace the whole motor,removing the oil pan and look into the bottom half of engine will tell about the bearings.