Master Class Auto
Master Class Auto, ASE - Master Auto Technician
Experience:  20+ years, full time experience. Specialize in Diagnostics & Electrical
13828642

The ignition switch on my husbands saturn has been drilled

The ignition switch on my husbands saturn has been drilled out it will start witha screwdriver however it will shut off right away because of the security system. The security system is cutting the gas to the car. How can we disable the security system when the ignition cylinder is drilled out. Book says if the security system isnt really working right try checking fuses does the system run on a fuse relay I tried the 10 minute thing and i either didnt do it right or it dont work any ideas
Category: Car
Expert:  Master Class Auto replied 5 years ago.

GM Vehicles (which is inclusive of Saturn) use a chip in key.. It's not rocket science. The chip has a value (resistance) attached to it - so a unique' code', if I may, is sent to security module.. And, when key is placed in tumbler (the actual key slot you turn) that CODE is sent to a Key Reader. The READER is attached to tumbler and the wiring is run down, through steering column, and eventually that chip value reaches Security Control Module. (a mini computer) This module also talks to cars' "main computer" - typically called ECM/PCM. OK? Here is the deal.. please do what's right. It may cost just a little more up front - but saves time/cash/aggravation on back side. And also, consider if you trade/sell this car in future. Let's not RIG it. OK? It is not too much money to replace ignition tumbler and get a new key to match - that's correctly coded. In fact, my local locksmith here in NJ - can hook me up and I do not really need to see GM dealer. If you give him the factory ignition key (most locksmiths) can "read the code" (on a machine) and make you a new key, and matching key tumbler, correct "key value" included. You install and you're done! You'll then have an OEM Spec, working system, and no need to "rig" or disable alarm. These are my suggestions and I hope you agree and appreciate. Thanks for using JA!<br /><br />Best,<br />Master Class<br /></div>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No kidding it's not rocket science, however, these keys do NOT have a chip in them, on was copied at ACE hardware for 99 cents.

My locksmith can not make the key for some reason.

I have the replacement switch, I need the security disabled so I can get it home to work on it.

Your key does have a chip in it - even if you cannot "see it". (if you have a factory installed security system, as you've stated) The security/fuel/ignition cut off, is reliant on the key code. End of story.. GM used that system on a Chevy, Caddy or any other make. They had no other means of a security system - in 2000. If you have an educated locksmith in your town, they again, will make you a correctly coded key and CUT a tumbler that matches key - physically. The code has ZERO to do with Physical CUT of key and tumbler. If car still does not start, the wiring from Key Reader to Security Module is defective or even broken. OK? So, replace key reader if that occurs.. Why would you argue with me? I'm a master tech and am giving you accurate/correct advice. I do not have a career and satisfied customers for 20+ years - because I tell lies.. Your car has a chipped key, key reader, and security module - if indeed you've provided accurate info here - and your security system is Factory/OEM. If it's not, then we're on two different pages! Realize a chipped key (transponder key) does not have to "show" its' chip physically. Maybe your local locksmith is not up on GM Security Systems that deal with Key and Key Reader? If so, see a dealer. OK?

Master Class
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand what you are saying. At this point with the car parked at my job having the thing keyed isnt at question here. There is no cylinder in the stering wheel. It has been drilled out. A key or code isnt the issue at this point. So other then sitting there trying to replace the cylinder in a parking garage at my workplace, Im asking if the security system can be turned off so i can get the car were it can be properly worked on. I say this again cause im not sure if you understand that the cylinder has been almost compltely drilled out. A key like a said isnt the issue right now disabling that security system is. The book states if the system is not working properly to check fuses. If thisis the case does it run on a fuse that can be unplugged untill it is properly repaired

I'm not trying to argue at all. if this was MY car or my Mothers' car - I'd give same advice. If the cylinder is drilled or otherwise damaged - the key reader may be damaged or unable to transfer key value to security module. My job here is to help and educate customer - at high level of intelligence and accuracy. If for example, your car was in my shop right now, I'd replace cylinder (tumbler) with matching key with factory key code as well... And, if key reader is intact/working the value would be sent to security module and all will work. Does this clarify? Trying to bypass factory security system, is in ILL interest and will present more problems and costs then to replace bad parts and restore to factory provisions. OK?

Best,
Master Class
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand you but unfortunatly that doesnt help me get the car running to get the car to the dealer. i have in my possesion the new tumbler and stuff to replace it but with the car not drivable i cant get it to the dealer with out turning off the security (that i dont really care if is there or not). If there is no way to disable it then you have given me all the help you can.

No, to disable that system is very involved. It's built to do a good job at defeating crooks. If there was an easy bypass, I'd tell you. I'm simply telling you (of) the reality of the system.. and what's needed to make car run at factory level. That's all I can do. Anything else is negative and impractical. OK?

Best,
Master Class
Experience: 20+ years, full time experience. Specialize in Diagnostics & Electrical