karrs2fix
karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  master technician,L1 certified,Tech net training,16 years experience

wheels that that moves the Serpentine belt stopped throwing the belt

Serpentine belt stopped. One of the wheels that that moves the Serpentine belt stopped throwing the belt off track. What could have caused this and is repair expensive?
Category: Car
Expert:  karrs2fix replied 4 years ago.
year make model?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1994 jeep cherokee. Can be a 2x2 or a 4x4. Driving it as a 2x2. Belive it is a 6 cylinder engine.
Expert:  karrs2fix replied 4 years ago.
If it is just the idler pulley next to the a/c compressor you should be in the $125 -175 range with replacing a new belt also. there are other driven components for the belt that will be much more expensive depending on what component drive bearing has failed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I asked my son if he could see which circle thing (don't know the official name) that wasn't moving. he said he thinks it's one of the bottom ones. That tells me nothing.

I won't take anymore of your time and I'll except so you can be paid. I really appreciate your assistance. It gives me a range on the repair cost. I just don't want to be ripped off. I know nothing about the repair shop that the vehicle is being towed to.

Lastly, if it is one of the bottom (lets call them pulleys). Can I expect repair cost to be much more than the $125.00- $175.00 range?
Expert:  karrs2fix replied 4 years ago.

Yes if it is one of the pulleys on the lower area it will be more expensive, It could be the water pump or the alternator. If that is the case you should expect 250-350 $ range. Let me know if I can be any more help if you get a repair estimate.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
oh lord. Lets hope not. but it may be the water pump. We had the alternator replaced about two years ago and the truck was hardly driven last year because my son was away at college.

Thanks so much for your time. I intend to get back in touch with you after I hear from the machanic to make sure he is not trying to overcharge for the repair. Can you tell me how I would do that?
Expert:  karrs2fix replied 4 years ago.
When you log on to the website there should be a section where you can request me (karrs2fix) and it should notify me.
karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: master technician,L1 certified,Tech net training,16 years experience