Auto Go
Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Certified Undercar Specialist, ASE Advanced Engine Performance Certified.

How to program a key fob for 98 Olds Aurora?

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.
<p><br />To resynchronize the transmitter, perform the following steps:</p><ol><li>Hold the transmitter within range of the vehicle.</li><li>Press and hold the transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 8 seconds. When the transmitter is synchronized with the vehicle. The horn sounds and the exterior lights flash if the transmitter is programed to do these functions.</li></ol>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So, the method of being insdie the car, ON,Off,ON, OFF then when the locks cycle, hold down the two buttons on the fob is NOT the correct way???
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I did the 8 second thing, lights flashed, horn honked, but nothing opens or locks.

Repeated that, and after 10-20 seconds, nothing happened. Like it's all dead????

I did change the battery 4-5 days ago, will do that one more time.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.
<p>Let me opt out and forward your question to a Tech that has more info on Alarm Systems. That is the general program procedure provided by GM for this car. You may have a deeper problem. Sit tight one sec, i will forward your question, and someone will be with you shorrtly. Sorry for the inconvenience....</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No problem.

Your html codes are coming through on these emails, example: <p>, etc.

I replaced the battery, cleaned off the contacts, old battery had 3.214 volts, same as the battery I removed, so it is more of a simple 7-8 second thing. I did do that, as it is suggested on the inside cover of the fob.

Expert:  Auto Go replied 7 years ago.
hello! I have found some different info on the procedure.

connect a jumper wire between pins 8 (black/whit wire) and pin 4 (black wire) of the data link conncetor (where the scan tool plugs in located under the drivers side of the dash.

this is a view of the data link connector and what pins are what. jumper 8 and 4.
close all doors. turn ignition on. locks will cycle. press and hold lock and unlock of the transmitter until locks cycle again (up to 30 seconds). repeat this step with additional transmitters until all transmitters have been programed. when finished, remove jumper wire BEFORE turning key off. they should now work.

I would do all transmitters you have for this vehicle if you use this method. try it. If it works, please press accept. if not, let me know and I will opt out so someone else can try. thanks for your paitence with us and thanks for using just answer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I think I jumped these last week, but I only jumped them, and did not do the key fob thing.

Are you saying that I should leave a jumper to 8 and 4 ON while I press the lock & unlock buttons of the transmitter?

The data link pictured is unside down compared to how it is under the dash, not a problem, but 180º off.

Expert:  Auto Go replied 7 years ago.
just take note of how the connector slants on both sides and if necessary picture it upside down.

yes. leave the jumper in until you are done with the procedure. when the second transmitter has been programmed (if there is a second one) remove the jumper BEFORE turning off the key.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It will be the weekend B4 I can do the 4-8 thing to see if that works.

I understand the connector slant thing - I held a national NHRA record back in the 60's, os I am pretty good with cars.

Expert:  Auto Go replied 7 years ago.
alrighty, let me know!