SUPRYZE
SUPRYZE, Technician/Shop Foreman
Experience:  GM & Saab Certified, ASE Master Technician
6758627

how to set up timing chain on a 2004 saab 93

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  SUPRYZE replied 7 years ago.
Hello! Are you sure this is a 2.4 and not a 2.0?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry it is 2.0 l
Expert:  SUPRYZE replied 7 years ago.
Are there any color markings on the chain? Is the Balance shaft chain still intact?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no visable marks on chain and balance shafts are o.k. .we do not have the saab cam tool to do the set up.
Expert:  SUPRYZE replied 7 years ago.
I was hoping there would be colored links on the chain, like their sister engine Eco-Tec. Both engines are almost identical, including how the chain is laid out and set-up, but the Eco-Tec has three colored links, two purple and one bronze for use in chain alignment.

I was hoping that under any crud, there might be some and we can use the Chevrolet procedure because Saab REQUIRES that you use the holding tools on the camshaft. These holding tools hold the Intake, Exhaust and Crank in exact locations for the chain.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so what we should do
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

we need an answer

Expert:  SUPRYZE replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry to say, but if there are NO identifying marks on the chains or gears, you have NO choice but to locate the special tools. The tools hold the balancer and cams in a very specific location to ensure proper alignment.
I could post the picture of the Eco-Tec setup, but if yours has no marks, it does you no good.