jagmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 years Jaguar Master, Land Rover Master, Aston Martin certified

Last night I was stopped by the police for a loud muffler.

I have a 2001 Diablo. Last night I was stopped by the police for a loud muffler. What are the decibels of the Diablo? How can one check to see if my Diablo exceeds the legal limit?
Category: Car
Expert:  jagmaster replied 7 years ago.
There isn't a sound figure in print. I suspect if you have factory exhaust your fine. You'd need to find a sound booth at the local college and the local laws to see if you comply. Your probably fine.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I suspect the exhaust is not factory installed. I need to find the legal limit, which I believe is 95 decibels. But how do I check mine? Don
Expert:  jagmaster replied 7 years ago.
We used to go to the local college and they would check with a decibel meter. Also I know that many law enforcment agencies will check it for you. In Colorado where I used to live, the state police would teat any car that asked. That would be good to have them do it anyways because they can explain the local laws.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

If I check it with the local police and they find it exceeds the limit, they will take the car off the road. This is like having the mice in charge of the cheese. I'm trying to find out what is the legal limit and how do I test my car. The police officer's atitude was envy. His comment "So you think your impressive with this fancy car and loud muffler, huh!"

I want to fight this case in court, but I need to know the legal requirements in Florida and how to check against these.

Expert:  jagmaster replied 7 years ago.
They won't impound the car for sound, especially when your trying to resolve the issue and do the right thing. Relax. If you are that worried about it, then you need to go to a professional sound stage and have a legal printed test showing it's output. I guess you'll have to carry a printout showing it's legal. I know my Aston Martin is probably illegal. It's way loud and if I get a ticket for it than so be it. That's what we get for driving nice flashy cars. I would give mine up for nothing.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Where do I find a professional sound stage and what is the legal limit?

Expert:  jagmaster replied 7 years ago.
Call your local Harley dealer and ask them. Sound limits change from town to town. Here where I live it's 80db. If they are that sensitive to it in you area I am sure the Harley dealer deals with it everyday and will know all the details for your area. They may even have a test set up there. Those guys have much louder exhaust than cars and are always getting nailed.