Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

95 isuzu trooper: none of the 4 power windows work..fuses

Customer Question

95 isuzu trooper. none of the 4 power windows work. the fuses appear to be fine. I bought the manual but it did not even address window electrical repairs. Any ideas?
Submitted: 7 years ago via ChiltonDIY.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
graphicHi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX sounds like you have a bad power window relay, It is located behind the dash trim panel. Here is a diagram
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ouotstanding. Thanks.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
Check this first, and if this is not the problem, then come back to this question and I will help you trace it out.Tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks. Can you provide a part number or reference re the "power window relay"? I can not find the part.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
I cant give you the part number, they dont list it, pull the relay out and there will be a part number on it, or take it to the parts house so they can match it up.Tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

can you provide any guidance on how to get the part out? There is not an obvious release point.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
you just pull straight out, there should not be a release on it, it just puhes in.Tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Tim. I got the fuse out (there was a release). As it turns out, all of the relays are the same. I replaced the power window relay and the windows still do not work.

Also, I verified that none of the power window switches in the vehicle currently work.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
Do you have a test lite?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i do

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
with the relay removed, probe the sockets for the relay with the key on, there should be power on 2 of the terms.Tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

will do. I likely won't be able to test it this afternoon.

Are there any other diagnostics that I can collect in the meantime?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
well, the relay is powered bt 2 different fuses, if you have power to these two, then i would suspect the master switch being bad, if there are not to with power then you have a blown fuse.Tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thats helpful. thanks.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
let me know what you find,tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sadly, my light tester is rated for 120V and did not illuminate in any of the relay slots, including the one for the windows. I presume that I need to get a 12v tester and will do so in the am...
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you will need a 12 volt tester.Tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Tim,

This is the follow up to our conversation debugging why the four power windows on my Isuzu trooper wont work.

I got a volt meter and set it to 9 volts (it did not have a 12v setting). I tested the top and bottom pair of slots where the relay is inserted. The top two slots read "5" volts. The bottom two slots read -13 volts.

any thoughts/guidance?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
You need to have a 12 v tester for this,. the 9 volt tester will not work.Tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

okay. I am now the proud owner of a auto circuit tester.

I tested two adjacent relay points and found power in both. I also swapped the relays to ensure that both relays work. (the relay adjacent to the power window relay controls the fan to the heating/cooling system. I confirmed that it works with both relays and the power windows do not work with either relay.)

Thoughts?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
ok, next you have to pull the drivers switch and see if you have 12volts to the blue with black wire with the key on.Tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can I access the switch w/o taking disassembling the door?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
No, you will have to remove the panel
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

okay.

one last question before I further disassemble my car. (Btw, thanks for your help; this is far more support than I expect for $15.)

I have previsously replaced the driver's side power window switch (~8 yrs ago). If I recall correctly, when the driver's side switch when bad, the other windows still worked.

Does this help with your diagnosis?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
all the power runs through this switch, it can go bad, and still give power to the others or not, but before you tear it down, where the wires go through the drivers dorr, there will be a rubber booy, pull that back and see if you have a broken wire in there, they like to break inside the boot.tim