George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

how dp i change the camshaft sensor on my 98 rodeo

Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The sensor looks like this

graphic

Follow these directions to remove it

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove spark plug cover on top of valve cover by removing four retaining bolts.
  3. Disconnect electrical connector from the sensor.
  4. Remove drive belt. Refer to Engine Mechanical Section.
  5. Remove top harness cover installed on timing belt cover by removing a retaining screw.
  6. Remove the retaining bolts holding crankshaft pulley, and pull crankshaft pulley while wiggling. Refer to Engine Mechanical Section.
  7. Remove the retaining screws for timing belt cover and then remove the timing belt cover.
  8. Remove the retaining bolt for the sensor and pull up camshaft position sensor

graphic

graphic

graphic

Let me know if you have further questions about this procedure

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok I got everything of up till i get to voks in the inside of the cranks inside the heads. illustration 2. i having problems getting the sensor from between the two voks illustration 2 and 3
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

I am not sure what voks are?

There is a bolt that you loosen/remove and the sensor pulls up.

You have both timing covers off?

Can you see the bolt that holds the sensor in place?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes and i took that bolt off already but the bulge in the sensor is is preventing me from pulling it out.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

You will have to pull it slightly away from the head and pull straight up while wiggleing it. I have never had much trouble getting it out. Can you see what is holding it in place?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i got the bolt out but the very small star bolt fell in the bottom of the timing belt system
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

If you have both covers off that should not be a problem, fish it out with a magnet.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
now i am having problems putting the time belt back on?
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

It is not necessary to remove the timing belt but here is the installation procedure

Line up the marks,

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

• Bring the engine top dead center No.1 cylinder compression stroke by rotating the engine in the direction of normal operation. The engine is in this position when the notches on the camshaft pulleys align with the marks on the cylinder head cover(1), Check the crankshaft pulley timing mark is aligned (2) also check for water pump positioning ensure tabs are aligned (3).
  •  

graphic

Set the tension on your used belt 4mm past the vee in the notch of the tensioner

graphic

Once you have the tension set turn the engine over by hand two crankshaft revolutions and recheck the marks

Let me know where you are having a problem

George H., ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist