Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Spectrum: 1.5 non turbo, broke timing belt..valves..crank..torque

I have an 89 geo spectrum 1.5 non turbo, broke timing belt--first what are the odds I didn't bend any valves, secondly having a difficult time getting the bottom crank pully off- even drilled a half inch hole through the frame, attached a breaker bar to it and it's not budging. Am I doing something wrong or do I just apply more torque to it? Mike
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

hi

it is an iterfearence engine....it is very possable that you wrarped the valves..though i have seen the belts break and it not hurt anything..so you may get lucky

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

crakshaft Damper/Pulley

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Spectrum

Although it may be possible to access the crankshaft damper/pulley while the engine is still in the vehicle, it may be exceedingly difficult. The manufacturer recommends that the engine be removed before attempting to replace components such as the timing belt or the crankshaft damper/gear. To remove these components, refer to the appropriate procedures later in this section.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the power steering belt from the crankshaft pulley.
  3. Remove the alternator belt.
  4. For the DOHC engine, remove the timing belt. Refer to the procedure later in this section.
  5. Raise and support the vehicle safely, then remove the right under cover.
  6. Remove the crankshaft pulley center bolt. For the DOHC engine, use J-8614-01, or an equivalent pulley holding fixture to prevent the crankshaft from turning.
  7. For the SOHC engine, remove the 5 side bolts, then remove the pulley from the engine.
  8. For the DOHC engine, use J-1859-03, or an equivalent puller to remove the pulley from the crankshaft.

To install:
  1. Align the crankshaft key with the pulley groove, then position the pulley onto the end of the crankshaft.
  2. Install the pulley center bolt and tighten to 87 ft. lbs. (118 Nm). For the DOHC engine, use the pulley holding fixture to prevent the crankshaft from turning. For SOHC engines, install the pulley side bolts and tighten to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
  3. Install the right under cover, then remove the supports and carefully lower the vehicle.
  4. For the DOHC engine, install the timing belt.
  5. Install the alternator belt.
  6. Install the power steering belt.
  7. Connect the negative battery cable.

2. Install an adjustable engine support fixture and adapter kit in order to support the engine weight once the engine mount is removed for access. If an engine hoist is being used as an engine support, raise and support the vehicle sufficiently for both underhood and undervehicle access.
  3. Remove the serpentine drive belt from the engine.
  4. Remove the bolt and nut from the right engine mount bracket, then remove the through-bolt from the mount. Remove the engine mount from the vehicle.
  5. Lower the engine using the support fixture, until the crankshaft pulley may be accessed from underneath the vehicle.
  6. If not done already, raise and support the vehicle safely.
  7. Remove the right splash shield.
  8. Remove the crankshaft pulley center bolt, then remove the pulley from the vehicle.

To install:
  2. Install the pulley center bolt and tighten to 108 ft. lbs. (147 Nm).
  3. Install the right splash shield.
  4. If an engine hoist is not being used as the engine support, remove the supports and lower the vehicle.
  5. Use the engine support to align the engine with its original position.
  6. Install the right engine mount and loosely install the through-bolt. Install and tighten the bracket nut/bolt to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm), then tighten the through-bolt to 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm).
  7. Install the serpentine drive belt.
  8. Remove the engine support fixture. If a hoist was use to support the engine, remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.
  9. Connect the negative battery cable.

Timing Belt

Print

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Although timing belts may last for thousands of miles past the recommended replacement interval, they should be replaced every 60,000 miles to prevent trouble or damage should they snap. Timing belts do not usually give an indication that they are worn or aging without removing the cover(s) and inspecting the belt. A worn or damaged belt could give out at any time. In some cases, should a timing belt snap while the engine is running, damage could be done to the valve trains or pistons requiring a partial or full engine disassembly. Also, should the belt go when the vehicle is far from home, a costly tow or even more costly repair job and considerable inconvenience may be suffered.

Timing belts must always be handled carefully and kept completely free of dirt, grease, fluids and lubricants. This includes any accidental contact from spillage, fingerprints, rags, etc.. These same precautions apply to the pulleys and contact surfaces on which the belt rides.The belt must never be crimped, twisted or bent. Never use tools to pry or wedge the belt into place. Such actions will damage the structure of the belt and possibly cause breakage.

Spectrum

See Figures 1, 2 and 3

The engine must be removed from the vehicle for this procedure to be performed.

1. Remove the engine and mount it to an engine stand.
  2. Remove the accessory drive belts.
  3. Remove the engine mounting bracket from the timing cover.
  4. Rotate the crankshaft until the notch on the crankshaft pulley aligns with the 0 degree mark on the timing cover and the No. 4 cylinder is on TDC of the compression stroke.
  5. Remove the starter and install the flywheel holding tool No. J-35271 or equivalent.
  6. Remove the crankshaft bolt, boss and pulley.
  7. Remove the timing cover bolts and the timing cover.
  8. Loosen the tension pulley bolt.
  9. Insert an Allen wrench into the tension pulley hexagonal hole and loosen the timing belt by turning the tension pulley clockwise.
  10. Remove the timing belt.
  11. Remove the head cover.

Inspect the timing belt for signs of cracking, abnormal wear and hardening. Never expose the belt to oil, sunlight or heat. Avoid excessive bending, twisting or stretching.

To install:
  1. Position the Woodruff key in the crankshaft followed by the crankshaft timing gear. Align the groove on the timing gear with the mark on the oil pump.
  2. Align the camshaft timing gear mark with the upper surface of the cylinder head and the dowel pin in its uppermost position.
  3. Place the timing belt arrow in the direction of the engine rotation and install the timing belt, first to the crankshaft pulley, next to the camshaft pulley, then to the water pump pulley and finally to the tension pulley. Tighten the tension pulley bolt.

Once installed, there must be not slack in the timing belt. The belt teeth must be in perfect alignment with the gears.

1. Turn the crankshaft 2 complete revolutions and realign the crankshaft timing gear groove with the mark on the oil pump.
  2. Loosen the tension pulley bolt and apply tension to the belt using an Allen wrench in the hexagonal pulley hole. Torque the pulley bolt to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm) while holding the pulley stationary.
  3. Check the timing belt tension using a belt tension gauge, it should be 40-48 lbs. (18-22 Kg).
  4. Adjust the valve clearances.
  5. To complete the installation, reverse the removal procedures. Torque the crankshaft pulley-to-crankshaft bolt to 108 ft. lbs. (147 Nm).

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Timing belt routing - SOHC engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Align the crankshaft timing gear keyway with the mark in the oil pump - SOHC engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Check the timing belt tension at the center of the longest point between pulleys - SOHC engines

Storm
SOHC ENGINE

See Figures 1, 2 and 3

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the timing belt cover. If necessary, raise and support the vehicle, then remove the right under cover to access the lower timing cover bolts.
  3. If not done already, rotate the crankshaft so that the No. 4 cylinder is at TDC on its compression stroke by aligning the camshaft pulley timing mark to the 9 o'clock position.
  4. Raise and support the vehicle safely.
  5. Remove the crankshaft pulley center bolt, the 4 crankshaft pulley side bolts and the crankshaft pulley from the vehicle.
  6. Loosen the belt tension pulley bolt, then remove the timing belt from around the tensioner and other pulleys. Remove the timing belt from the vehicle.

To install:
  1. Make sure the crankshaft pulley keyway and groove is aligned with the oil pump timing mark and the camshaft pulley timing mark is in the 9 o'clock position. Install the timing belt around the crankshaft timing pulley, followed by the tensioner pulley, water pump pulley and the camshaft timing pulley.
  2. Tighten the belt tensioner retaining bolt. Make sure that the belt is properly tightened and is aligned evenly around all the pulleys:
    3. Check the timing belt tension/deflection using a belt tension gauge. The belt should deflect 0.63-0.79 in. (16-20mm) when 22 lbs. (98 N) of pressure is applied to the center of the longest belt stretch.

3. Check that the camshaft is still aligned to the 9 o'clock position.
  4. Install the timing belt cover, secure it with the 2 lower mounting bolts, then torque the bolts to 89 in. lbs. (10 Nm).
  5. Install the crankshaft pulley to the crankshaft dampener, secure the center bolt and the 4 side bolts. Torque the center bolt to 87 ft. lbs. (118 Nm) and the 4 side bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
  6. If removed, install the right side under cover.
  7. Lower the vehicle. Install the 4 upper timing belt cover retaining bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  8. Install the right engine mount.
  9. Install the power steering pump drive belt and alternator drive belt. Adjust them to the proper belt tension.
  10. Remove engine support fixture and reconnect the negative battery cable.

DOHC ENGINE

See Figures 4 and 5

2. Install engine support fixture tool J-28467-A or equivalent.
  3. Remove the right engine mount.
  4. Remove the power steering belt and alternator belt or the serpentine drive belt, as applicable.
  5. Remove the upper timing belt cover. If applicable, remove the retaining bolt and relocate the wiring harness from the timing cover.
  6. Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the right splash shield.
  7. Align the crankshaft pulley to TDC, then remove the crankshaft pulley center bolt while holding the pulley from turning. Remove the pulley from the engine.

It will be necessary to lower the engine using the support fixture for access to remove the crankshaft pulley.

1. Lower the vehicle.
  2. Remove the lower timing belt cover.
  3. Loosen the tensioner pulley retaining bolt 1 / 2 turn and remove the timing belt.

To install:
  1. Make sure the camshaft pulleys' timing marks are properly aligned.
  2. Install the timing belt to the engine beginning with the crankshaft timing pulley and moving counterclockwise around the pulleys (water pump, idler, exhaust camshaft, intake camshaft) to the tensioner pulley.
  3. Install the timing belt tensioner and torque the retaining bolt to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).
  4. Rotate the crankshaft 2 turns to ensure that the crankshaft timing pulley mark and the camshaft timing pulley marks are correctly aligned.
  5. Install the lower timing belt cover.
  6. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  7. Install the crankshaft pulley and torque the center pulley bolt to 87 ft. lbs. (118 Nm). Using the engine support, raise the engine back into position.
  8. Lower the vehicle and install the upper timing cover.
  9. Install the alternator and power steering belt, then adjust the belts to the proper belt tension or install the serpentine drive belt.
  10. Install the right engine mount.
  11. Remove the engine support fixture tool. Reconnect the negative battery cable.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: The camshaft pulleys' timing marks must be properly aligned before the timing belt is installed - DOHC engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: Timing belt installation order - DOHC engines

FIG : Fig. 3: Check the timing belt tension at the center of the longest point between pulleys - SOHC engines CLOSE X

image

FIG : Fig. 4: The camshaft pulleys' timing marks must be properly aligned before the timing belt is installed - DOHC engines CLOSE X

image

FIG : Fig. 5: Timing belt installation order - DOHC engines CLOSE X

image

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.