Dean
Dean, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician

my 1999 olds 88 lss will not start and the security light keeps

Customer Question

my 1999 olds 88 lss will not start and the security light keeps flashing. i've been told i need to reset the pass-key codes. how do i reset the codes?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dean replied 4 years ago.
You need to turn the key to the starting postion and after it turns over a couple times let off of it and leave it in the on postion. Leave it in this postion for 10 min. The security light will go out. then turn the key off and then try to start the car again. If it doesn't start repeat the steps. It will sometimes take up to 3 tries before it will take. Usually they will take the first or second time.

Hope this helps...... Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the engine does'nt try to turn over. it's like the engine is dead. just the security light keeps flashing.
Expert:  Dean replied 4 years ago.
Try just turning the key to the on postion and let it set for 10 min and see if the light stops flashing. Also check to make sure your battery has a full charge.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
light still flashes after 30 min. and battery at 11.8 volts.
Expert:  Dean replied 4 years ago.
Ok so it sounds like you may have a bad key or tumbler. We just need to make sure it is not a starter or starter relay. When you turn the key like you are trying to start the car does the radio and the heater/ac blower go off while you are trying to crank? What all lights are on on the instument panel? Key on and while trying to crank. If you can get to the starter there are 2 wires (1 large and one small) the large should have battery voltage at all times. The small should only have voltage when you try to crank. This is your signal wire from the ignition switch. If you have power while trying to crank rhen your starter is bad. If no power then either in the ignition, wiring or relay. Let me know what you find or what all you can do.

Thank You