Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

how can you tell when your mass air flow sensor is bad on a

Customer Question

how can you tell when your mass air flow sensor is bad on a 2003 alero olds
Category: Car
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
What is making a squealing sound? The Mass Air Flow? Do you have a check engine light on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes i dont know what is making that squealing sound but I do know when me and my cousin took the old thermostat office the check engine light was on and when we put the new thermostat in it started squealing so I dont know if it the mass air flow sensor or not I went to autozone had them to test it and he said that it was reading mass air flow so i dont pleas help me my name is vetta
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
Make sure your belts are tight. Check the clamps on the hose to the mass air flow on both ends. Make sure there is no trash or anything inside your air filter box. Is the car running ok?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I clean out the box that the air filter sent in I will check to make sure that the other clamp towes the mass air flow thing is tight i didnt do nothing to the belt I just put on a raitorst holes and thermostat excuse my spelling
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
You may have gotten some antifreeze on the belts, does the noise change with the engine speed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i dont know but some antifreeze did get on it i am getting fraustrate
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i dont know what to do if your mass air flow sensor is out or out do it make that noise like something is stoping air from getting in that 's what it sounds like zzzzzzzz
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
They don't usually make any noise. That is why I think it may be something else. Can you actually say that is where the noise is coming from? If it is bad, you need a new one, but I don't want you to spend that kind of money if it isn't bad.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
that what I'm saying i dont know it was not sqealing before we took off the old thermostat and the hose to the ratiotater but when i put my hand on the mass air flw b ox it get lower i dont know richard can i call you and i maybe can explain better than typing i am new with this all i dont have a lot of money but i really need some help that why i try to do it myself because i didnt have the 80.00 dollars that they were going to charge me to do that and the thermostat only cost 13.00 dollars and some change i dont mine paiding for my car i just had 3 death in my family and i just can't afford it now that why i try to do it but i put everthing back like it was and thank you for taking the time out for me
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can you help me richard
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
OK, try taking the clamps and the wire connector off and remove the mass air sensor. Look inside and make sure it is clean, make sure there are no tiny holes or cracks in the hose. Then carefull put it back together and put a little bit of oil on the inside of the hose where it fits on the mass air flow. It may just be a small air leak. Let me no. I am going home soon, it may be tomorrow before I can get back to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
okay i will do that and i will get back in touch with you could you call me if you can't get me on the comp because att said if i dont pay them 51.00 dollars my enternet will be interput so if you would i will appresate that(NNN) NNN-NNNNand i will do that today thank you for everything
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
I'll try to call if I don't hear from you.