Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

How do I replace a timing belt for 2001 mitsubishi mirage with

Customer Question

How do I replace a timing belt for 2001 mitsubishi mirage with a 1.8L engine?
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Here are directions:

1.8L Engine

1. Position the engine so the No. 1 piston is at TDC of the compression stroke.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the engine undercover.
  4. Using the proper equipment, slightly raise the engine to take the weight off the side engine mount. Remove the engine mount bracket.
  5. Remove the drive belts, tension pulley brackets, water pump pulley and crankshaft pulley.
  6. Remove all attaching screws and remove the upper and lower timing belt covers.
  7. Remove the timing belt covers.
  8. Remove the outer crankshaft sprocket and flange.
  9. Remove the silent shaft (inner) belt tensioner and remove the belt.

To install:

1. Align the timing marks of the silent shaft sprockets and the crankshaft sprocket with the timing marks on the front case.
  2. Wrap the timing belt around the sprockets so there is no slack in the upper span of the belt and the timing marks are still aligned.
  3. Install the tensioner pulley and move the pulley by hand so the long side of the belt deflects about 1 / 4 in. (6mm).

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Camshaft and crankshaft sprocket alignment for proper timing belt replacement-1.8L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Silent shaft sprocket alignment marks for belt replacement-1.8L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Checking the rear silent shaft for proper positioning-1.8L engines

4. Hold the pulley tightly so the pulley cannot rotate when the bolt is tightened. Tighten the bolt to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm) and recheck the deflection amount.
  5. Install the timing belt tensioner fully toward the water pump and tighten the bolts. Place the upper end of the spring against the water pump body.
  6. Align the timing marks of the camshaft, crankshaft and oil pump sprockets with their corresponding marks on the front case or rear cover.
    NOTE There is a possibility to align all timing marks and have the oil pump sprocket and silent shaft out of time, causing an engine vibration during operation. If the following step is not followed exactly, there is a 50 percent chance that the silent shaft alignment will be 180 degrees off.
  7. Before installing the timing belt, ensure that the left side (rear) silent shaft (oil pump sprocket) is in the correct position as follows:
    1. Remove the plug from the rear side of the block and insert a tool with shaft diameter of 0.31 in. (8mm) into the hole.
    2. With the timing marks still aligned, the shaft of the tool must be able to go in at least 2 1 / 3 in. (59mm). If the tool can only go in about 1 in. (25mm), the shaft is not in the correct orientation and will cause a vibration during engine operation. Remove the tool from the hole and turn the oil pump sprocket 1 complete revolution. Realign the timing marks and insert the tool. The shaft of the tool must go in at least 2 1 / 3 in. (59mm).
    3. Recheck and realign the timing marks.
    4. Leave the tool in place to hold the silent shaft while continuing.

8. Install the belt to the crankshaft sprocket, oil pump sprocket, then camshaft sprocket, in that order. While doing so, make sure there is no slack between the sprockets except where the tensioner is installed.
  9. Recheck the timing marks' alignment. If all are aligned, loosen the tensioner mounting bolt and allow the tensioner to apply tension to the belt.
  10. Remove the tool that is holding the silent shaft and rotate the crankshaft a distance equal to 2 teeth on the camshaft sprocket. This will allow the tensioner to automatically apply the proper tension on the belt. Do not manually overtighten the belt or it will howl.
  11. Tighten the lower mounting bolt first, then the upper spacer bolt.
  12. To verify correct belt tension, check that the deflection at the longest span of the belt is about 1 / 2 in. (13mm).
  13. The installation of the timing belt covers and all related items, is the reverse of the removal procedure. Make sure all pieces of packing are positioned in the inner grooves of the covers when installing.
  14. Connect the negative battery cable.