Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe - ABS, TCS lights come on. Terrible

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe - ABS, TCS lights come on. Terrible grinding noise when brakes applied. Front and back brakes and rotors already replaced. Grinding noise happened periodically however the last week it's become almost common place each time I drive.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
The abs (anti lock brake system) and tcs (traction control system) lights come on when you have a failing wheel speed sensor/wheel bearing and this would also explain the grinding you are hearing. To test what wheel is the problem you can lift each wheel one at a time and backprobe the wheel speed sensor and check for AC voltage using a voltmeter while spinning the wheel, whatever one does not put out voltage needs to be replaced. You may also notice just by lifting each tire and listening for noises while spinning. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
You can also check for cracked tone rings, it's extremely common on the santa fee's. You can lift up the car and spin the wheel to listen for noise, if so check the ring. Thanks again.