Chris Knight
Chris Knight, Technician
Experience:  16 years experience, Runs family owned business with father, Butch's Auto Service-21 yrs in business
15843749

I have a 2003 kia spectra.. the check engine light came on

Customer Question

I have a 2003 kia spectra.. the check engine light came on and about a day later while going through a toll booth the car, on exceleration, was shaking really bad. once i got over about 30 miles per hour the it was fine. if put the car in N it was fine. When i excelerat it sounds like it puttering out of the exhaust. I took it to Advanced auto and they pulled a code from the car. it is P1700. They can not find that code in there books and i cannot find it anywhere either. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris Knight replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

I'll be glad to help you! The diagnostic code that you have is related to the O/D lamp and is most likely not the cause of your problems. Has the check engine lamp ever blinked when this problem is occuring? Have you replaced any other tune-up components other than the spark plugs?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yeah when the car is messing up it does blink and then goes off. the plugs is the only thing i have replaced. my girl friend said she saw white puffs of smoke coming from the tail pipe earlier when i drove off. when i am on the highend (55 and up) it does not occure.
If the lamp is blinking like that then there should be a code associated with a misfire. Theres a good possibility that the wires may need to be changed. How many miles are on it?