Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

new serpantine belt 2005 kia sedona with diagram

Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

Here is the information you requested, let me know if you have questions. Thanks

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok so how do you release the tension?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

There is a adjusting bolt for each belt, here is a diagram let me know if you need anything. Thanks

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what tool do you need for the adjusting bolt?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Just a socket wrench, I believe it is 10 or 12mm. Let me know if you need anything else, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am still not clear where the adjusting bolt is to install a new serpantine belt.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

I circled them, let me know if you need anything else. Thanks

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
which way do you turn the adjuster bolt to tighten I turned it clockwise and it won't go anymore and it is not tight
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
There is likely a nut on the other side that you will need to hold in place while tightening until it has some tension on it or there may be a special groove the nut on the other side is suppose to sit in. Let me know if you have troubles and I'll try to help. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there is nothing on the other that is like a screw I can barely put my finger up there and it feels like the screw is going in the right place, but now I can't loosen it
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
It sounds like the screw may be going into the bold sideways. At this point you will want to remove the belt to see if you can tighen it with more slack on the pulley. If worse comes to worse you may even need to remove the pulley to get better access. Its hard to say exactly what happend but if you do the above steps and get a good light it will work out. If you have more questions let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the belt is easy to remove its very loose. how do you remove the pulley? just unscrew the screw on the side of it.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Yes, just remove the bolt on the side. Let me know if this works for you to line it up. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
once I remove this will it be easier to loosen the bolt its stuck I don't have it jacked up to its hard to get leverage. I really appreciate your help
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it should make it a little easier so at least you can see what you are working with. Another thing you could do is remove a wheel and the fender liner if you think that would help. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the bolt on the side will not budge it is counter clockwise to loosen it right? I got the adjuster bolt free again but I loosened it enough that it came out about 1 in or more then I retightened it and still the same slack. I guess I will keep trying to loosen the pulley bolt. please confirm that this bolt loosens the normal way.

Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Yes it loosens the normal way make sure the belt is routed correctly that could cause slack, thanks.