Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

How can I unlock a 2002 Mazda Protege that has the keys locked

Customer Question

How can I unlock a 2002 Mazda Protege that has the keys locked in it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.

Hello, you really have only a few options. Most towing companies have the special lockout tools and can do it as you know. To do on you own would require you to buy a "slim jim" at your parts store . This method is tricky as you really need to know what rod you are trying to catch to release the latch. If you make an error, you could knock rod off and cause nore problems

The AAA uses a very simple tool that you can make on your own. It works fast and can not cause damage to vehicle.I hope I explain ok. hard to do.

if you can get your hands on a metal rod about 3ft long. I use 1/4 inch allthread rod that can be found at most all hardware stores, bend the tip of it on a 90 degree angle leaving about 2 inches on the bend.

Now, go to the very top edge of door , ( towrards rear of top edge) use a small piece of wood cut as a small wedge. kind of like a door stop. Pull the the top edge out slightly and insert the wedge to open a small gap between door and frame. The wedge will hold the door open just enough to allow you to feed the rod through. Feed the rod through that opening and go for the door handle inside OR you may need to press the unlock button if auto locks. The rod will do this very easily. As you feed the rod through the opening, you can bend it slightly to help line up on handle or button.